Okay I have Windows 98 and I was just wondering if theres a way I could put a password on a certain folder because you see I share my computer with three other members in my family...and I would like a little privacy. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I don't believe there is. Win98 sucks for security... you can even get by user passwords really easy :rolleyes:

Member Avatar for nicentral

Unfortunately since Windows 98 doesn't use NTFS, you cannot apply any security to a folder without using any 3rd party tools. I haven't seen any online that are free either.

Andy

okay thanks anyways

Hi Maria
In win98 u can lock a folder but its accessible from another operating system. No Other user can access this folder nor delete it or rename it unless u unlock it.
Here is the method

Go to start-run and type command, now go to drive were the folder is like d: or e:, i want to lock the folder named "songs" which is in d:

To lock a folder------d:/ren songs Alt454 (Note: here u can use any number but three digits number, holding down the ALT key press the numbers and press enter)

To unlock a folder---d:/ren Alt454 songs and press enter (here u have to type the reverse of above)

if u like it pls reply

Dont share this number with anybody

Hi All,
here is the another way to lock a particular folder in Windows98, but it is not similar in XP,NT and so on....

Click on Start > Run > Enter "Command" and press Enter button
the Command prompt will be displayed ,

Step to Lock the Folder

c:\>ren path newname ALT197
here path is the location of your folder and newname will include path and new folder name , u can also use the old folder name

Step to Unlock the folder

c:\>ren newname ALT197 anyname
here the newname is the name given at the time of the locking the folder and anyname is the name given now to unlock

Note : Don't seperate newname and ALT197

Hi All,
here is the another way to lock a particular folder in Windows98, but it is not similar in XP,NT and so on....

Click on Start > Run > Enter "Command" and press Enter button
the Command prompt will be displayed ,

Step to Lock the Folder

c:\>ren path newname ALT197
here path is the location of your folder and newname will include path and new folder name , u can also use the old folder name

Step to Unlock the folder

c:\>ren newname ALT197 anyname
here the newname is the name given at the time of the locking the folder and anyname is the name given now to unlock

Note : Don't seperate newname and ALT197

Immm... sra1kesha gud man its different from the one i posted gud work thanx

Hi, is there a similar method for Windows XP ?

Please do post if there is some methods to password protect through command prompt.

Thank you in advance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.