What program are you using?

i guess he is talking about disk management utility.

windows server commented: whichever program you used ,you can go here to get the answer : • • Join Date: Mar 2010 Posts: 9 Reputation: windows server is an unknown quantity at this point Solved Threads: www.partitionwizard.com , www.server-partition-software.com +1

Whichever way you attempt to resize your partition, if its a DC, look into USN Rollback (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885875/), and ensure that the method you use wont cause this. I got caught out and its a blow away and start again scenario. check out the link included.

There are some info I picked up from website:

1. Without partition software. You can resize other partitions, just not the boot partition which is the one that the Windows server 2003 files are located on. To resize it, use the disk configuration tool after starting up with the 2003 disk. You'll have to reinstall when you do this.

2. There is no free windows server 2003 partition software, there are two great partition software for windows server 2003.

* Partition Magic will do not the trick. Use Norton Ghost to copy the partition onto another HD, and uninstall your Windows Server 2003. Then install Windows Operating System which Partition Magic supported, such as Windows 2000, XP.
* EASEUS Partition Manager has the same functions, and as you know, partition magic has stopped upgrading, so this might be your best choice. Notice, you need to use EASEUS Partition Manager Server Edition - windows server 2003 supported. This partition software can help you repartition easily under windows server 2003.

Is it server or non-server? Most partition tools do not supprot Windows 2003 server partition. You should tell out it when you choose one partition tool. I have used two, Disk director and EASEUS Partition Manager Server Edition. The second one is cheaper than the first one and can support both non-server and server which is more economical for the users.

New version has enhanced the performance to Partition Windows Server 2000 /2003 /2008 .

Randomly ran into this topic, but I think SPFDisk can help you on the issue.

SPFDisk (aka SPecial Fdisk) is a more powerful version of FDisk combined with Boot Managing. It was written by a Taiwanese programmer name S. P. Ferng and has became one of the most popular partition tools in asian communities for many years. SPFDisk is a free DOS base boot disk. It can be download here: http://spfdisk.sourceforge.net/Spf2K3tE.exe. A brief instruction can be found here: http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php/spfdiskreview/1. Be aware, the version used in the review is a older version of SPFDisk (2000-03q). The current version of SPFDisk is 2000-03t.

I just solved this problem, lucky beggar.
It's amazing, EASEUS Partition Master even not needs to reboot after install, enlarged my OS without reboot. All finished in a short time online without any downtime :icon_biggrin:

It often happens to server 2003 users to have a partition running out of space.

As to Partition Magic, it support Windows desktop not servers. Or use it in DOS. As to Volume Manager, it supports Windows NT/2000 Server, not Server 2003.

Here is a live tutorial with step by step instructions to resize 2003 partition http://www.geeksdo.com/extend-boot-partition-server-2003-paragon.html

is a dynamic disk on your server?

thx for the best answer that I ever see.
gicio

LOL thanks for the laugh......

I use Acronis Disk Director 10 on my production 2k3 servers. I have expanded all partition with this software including system partitions with no problem. We only run NTFS file system for obvious reasons so I can't contest to fat or fat32 but it shouldn't matter. In my humble opinion Acronis whips the snot out of partition magic.

FYI, I have used this application on both physical and virtual environments HDD's.

AJZ

Hi exsys and welcome to Daniweb,
Good to see you trying to help but the thread is now 3 months old and your link is for "How to extend system partition in Windows Vista, Server 2008 and Windows 7" not Windows 2003 partition.

there is a software named Windows Operating Systems which can support * Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)
* Windows Vista (32 & 64 bit)
* Windows XP (32 & 64 bit)
* Windows 2000 Professional
* Windows Server 2008 (32 & 64 bit)
* Windows Server 2003 (32 & 64 bit)
* Windows 2000 Server Family
its featuer is so many : * Resize/Move partition without data loss.
* Extend system partition easily and safely.
* Create, delete and format partition with simple steps.
* Copy partition and disk to transfer data with ease.
* Support disk and partition size larger than 2 TB.
* Keep your data safe even in case of power outages
* or hardware failure.
please go to :/www.partitionwizard.com

Hi exsys and welcome to Daniweb,
Good to see you trying to help but the thread is now 3 months old and your link is for "How to extend system partition in Windows Vista, Server 2008 and Windows 7" not Windows 2003 partition.

in fact ,there is another software can help you resize the windows server 2003 :/www.partitionwizard.com

If it passes chkdsk /r then Windows will love it forever.

There are many different partition managers that can resize NTFS partitions. The trick is, you can't do it while windows is running.

My favorite trick is to use Clonezilla to copy the partition to another drive formatted to the new size I want, then use Clonezilla to copy it back. Ghost can do the same thing. Clonezilla will support more devices (such as RAID arrays) common on servers.

Hi gicio,
You can surely resize partition for Windows Server 2003? As a server user you can manage the disk partition by using reliability partition manager, Partition Assistant. The partition tool will resize server partition to optimize disk usage under 2003 64-bit system.
To get more about the free software, please link Partition Assistant
And resize partition under Windows Server 2003 at resize server-2003 partition

i can't assess internet explore, the page is not displayed

• Windows 2003 (Preparing the PC, Partitioning a Disk, Disk Formatting, Pre-Installation
• Checks, Setup Methods, Setup Failure & Recovery, Windows 2003 Setup Files, Windows
2003 Installation Walk-Through)

You can resize on a windows 2003 server a partition with a third partyu utility, some friends have suggested serveral editions, and I heard about Partition Assistant, it has a free edition, but I don't know whether it could help you!

You can resize other partitions, just not the boot partition which is the one that the Windows system files are located on.

To resize it, use the disk configuration tool after starting up with the 2003 disk. You'll have to reinstall when you do this.

Ok, although this is an old question. In fact, it's quite difficult for us to resize partition, especially server partition space. But now, it becomes easier. You can resize it with Windows server disk management feature, or third party partition manager programs.
For Windows disk management, you can increase system partition or other partition space, only if when there is unallocated space adjacent to the partition; but working nothing when there is no unallocated space;
For third party partition manager programs, everything would be easier, no matter there is allocated space next to the partition.
Here is a recommendation from microsoft i found before;
or another recommendation for server partition manager.

I can't believe this post is still running unresolved for 8 yrs. Original post was back in 2003 and it's now 2011.. LOL

Hi,

As this thread quiet for a while, I wonder if you have solved your problem. Assuming you have fixed, in case of who have the same problem. I think there is a better solution with step by step tutorial. I hope it will be helpful.

Two Ways to Resize a Windows Server 2003 Partition without Reinstallation:
<<snip>>

Thread closed because it's attracting too much spam.

commented: Spam fighter!! +8
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.