I have Ubuntu/Vista Multiboot. While in Ubuntu I can access all my NTFS vista partition but not vice versa. Is there a legal hacking to get vista read the ubuntu file system?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Thanks HoustonIT,
I'm Going to try it out
Great!

Not really, there are a few ext2/3 drivers for windows but they tend to be a bit poor

best idea is to create a small FAT partition when you install, that way both OSes can use it as a shared drive

So you mean I can create FAT32 with Ubuntu. I'm ready to format it!

no, im sure he meant you could create the fat32 with windows

For what they're worth, the ext2/3 filesystem drivers for Windows work fine if you only require read-only access or need to transfer one or two files (and your data is backed up).

Regarding FAT32, I don't see how that would be particularly useful. We've already established that Ubuntu has read/write access to NTFS (maybe not the most solid driver in the world, but it's decent), so how would an intermediate FAT32 partition help anything?

so, what you guys suggest me to do??

If you only need to read from your Ubuntu partition, go ahead and use the ext3 drivers for Windows. While they have some problems with writing files, read-only access works fine.

The newest versions of Ubuntu come preinstalled with ntfs-3g, the driver that provides write access to NTFS partitions, and it's been in a very stable state for over a year. If you want a GUI configuration tool for it, go here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G

you can use file transferal for finding vista hacking,

you can use file transferal for finding vista hacking,

What do you mean?

If you only need to read from your Ubuntu partition, go ahead and use the ext3 drivers for Windows. While they have some problems with writing files, read-only access works fine.

The newest versions of Ubuntu come preinstalled with ntfs-3g, the driver that provides write access to NTFS partitions, and it's been in a very stable state for over a year. If you want a GUI configuration tool for it, go here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G

I have no problem to read them from Ubuntu, but the opposite

Well, like I already explained, these are the only reliable methods available to you:
- Within Ubuntu, read/write to your NTFS (Windows) partition
- Within Windows, read from your ext3 (Ubuntu) partition

Sorry, but there's no reliable driver for writing to Ubuntu from Windows (not saying drivers don't exist, but you risk losing data).

You could create an intermediate FAT32 partition which both OSs can read/write to, but that's not going to give you any more advantages or benefits than your NTFS partion already provides (as both OSs can already read/write to that reliably).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.