Christmas day, yay.
Hi all, i hope someone can help me as i bought a customer returned dell 720.
It has no operating system with it so i tried to load it.
After setting boot device i put the disc in and it starts the cycle.
It gets as far as windows is starting and then blue screen saying it shut down as not to cause damage.
0x0000007b at the beginning of stop code.

I tried another hdd with windows on it from another xps pc and gets as far as the windows black bit , about 5 seconds and it reboots.
I took all the memory out and installed 1 at a time in case it was a faulty stick.

The bios sees both cd devices and the hdd and everythinng looks normal.
I am not a technician but have been able to sort out many problems over the years but not this one.
Please take pity on me for not being able to afford a new pc.
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Sorry not to be able to diagnose you out of your cup of woe. This strikes me as begging the question as to why the customer returned the PC.

A hard disk from another identical PC wold boot on a non-defective PC. The CD is a neutrl boot device and if it shuts down, something else is wrong . You've acted correctly with the memory. So, there's probably only one thing you can try on a simple scale. Reseat the graphics card (if you have one) and any other PCI cards.

If that doesn't work, your PC was a dud.

Let us know please.

make sure that the raid controller is disabled in the bios !maybe !

Sorry not to be able to diagnose you out of your cup of woe. This strikes me as begging the question as to why the customer returned the PC.

A hard disk from another identical PC wold boot on a non-defective PC. The CD is a neutrl boot device and if it shuts down, something else is wrong . You've acted correctly with the memory. So, there's probably only one thing you can try on a simple scale. Reseat the graphics card (if you have one) and any other PCI cards.

If that doesn't work, your PC was a dud.

Let us know please.

Sorry the pc was not identical, it is a dimension xps gen5, a lot older.
I am now thinking i may need additional drivers, ie F6 raid but i only have 1 hdd in it.
Surely the stop code will give a trained eye a clue?

I hadn't appreciated this had a RAID controller. Caperjack is right that with only one HDD, RAID has to be disabled in the BIOS. So there's a chance.

also, if its a sata harddrive you will need to load drivers for the controller,by hitting f6 on winxp install . you will need the drivers ,they are usuallly on the motherboard disk or on the dell site. using the tag on the dell case go here and type in the tag number,
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=gen

The tag has been erased,no tag in bios.
I bought it on ebay by a reseller that stated os was installed and run on and off ok then disks wiped.

i also installed a pata drive with xp on it and gets to xp logo and 5 seconds into it reboots.

I assume you were ripped of by ebay seller ,sounds like it o me ,one who has been ripped off by ebay sellers on more than one occasion !
maybe a local neighborhood geek could help you out .nothing like hands on computer repair ,i know if i have my hands on it i might be able to do more ,still say you are missing some setting in the bios !
or the mother board/ cpu are faulty

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.