hi guys iam new to daniwebs so if i am going about this the wrong way you will have to excuse me. I have a problem with xp home ie as soon as I turn on my pc or do a warm reboot I have to turn on windows firewall because if I don't it leaves my port 139 wide open to attack from who knows what this happends every time .I have zonealarm running & I have never had this sort of thing before and I have a generic host process for win32 (app svchost.exe asking to access the internet I carn't seem to find out what is goin on

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by gerbil

..and svchost needs access, cos it controls some aspects of networking. Mine maintains a UDP connection with my ISP, it listens on 135 [TCP], does DNS requests, FTP, handles shared access for http....

thanxs guys your info was very usefull I will have a look at the problem again thanxs again
will popin in evey day to check things out;)

Hi kingy55,
As stated, you are running a 3rd party firewall! What happens to the open port when you do enable Windows firewall??

hi bob, well when i turn xp firewall on my port 139 then becomes stealth what i don't understand is why it won't stay on when i boot up or do a warm reboot I have to do it manually oh & I am using IE7 with zonealarm pro firewall. dont surpose there is any sort of software I can download to close all ports & make them stealth thanx for your help

dont surpose there is any sort of software I can download to close all ports & make them stealth thanx for your help

yeah, its called a firewall .lol
you should be able to configure zonealarm to do that ,don't ask me how, because i don't use it !

thanxs guys get it now zonealarm turns off win xp wirewall something to do with sp2 good old microsoft

Yes, it does do that.. just to save the double checking of "two" firewalls. Comodo does not, so you do it yourself.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.