One of my cousins computer(Running WinXP SP2) is having problems.

When I booted his computer, it was running a scan(which is run when computer is not shutdown properly). It was verifying and checking the files and the folders within the C drive and FAT32 partition. But it was showing many cross links and then it hanged there. Maybe the computer might be too slow that it seemed to hang.

When I restarted the computer and tried to boot into safe mode, but it restarted again and then I cancelled the scan process which appeared again on the screen .
The computer reached the desktop screen but it was too slow.
I tried to run the "CHKDSK /F" command in the run field but it said that it cannot run it because certain programs were being used in
this partition . I left the computer as it is ,and my cousin said that this problem occured after he tried to install the driver of the modem.

But I checked the modem driver in device manager ,although it was not installed but it didnot had any problem.

I wanted to know that could it be a partition(C drive) problem?
Or could it be a registry problem?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

the scan its trying to run on bootup is chkdsk

try booting to a winxp cd and go R for recovery and rung the chkdsk /f command there !

try to do a repair installation of win xp

the scan its trying to run on bootup is chkdsk

try booting to a winxp cd and go R for recovery and rung the chkdsk /f command there !

I think Recovery console would be the best option since it will not take time like reinstallation.

I am forgeting one thing, please correct me If I am wrong, does recovery console takes the screen to a command prompt?

Regards,

I am forgeting one thing, please correct me If I am wrong, does recovery console takes the screen to a command prompt?

Regards,

yes and if you type in help you will get a list of commands !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.