I'll keep this post simple, I want to set up a dual desktop that does not "mirror" but will still have the taskbar and icons on it, I want to be able to move between the two and have multiple DIFFERENT tasks open on each, is this possible?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I'll keep this post simple, I want to set up a dual desktop that does not "mirror" but will still have the taskbar and icons on it, I want to be able to move between the two and have multiple DIFFERENT tasks open on each, is this possible?

I am not sure about the icons but I know you can extend your display across two monitors. Each screen can contain different windows.

You could go a step further by running a virtual OS on the other display using something like virtual box.

But for what reason do you want two displays for?

I am not sure about the icons but I know you can extend your display across two monitors. Each screen can contain different windows.

You could go a step further by running a virtual OS on the other display using something like virtual box.

But for what reason do you want two displays for?

I think what maddogsprofiles is trying to accomplish is having dual screens, but instead of just extending one monitor, and only have one task bar on ur "1" monitor and nothing on the botton of "2" monitor. He wants to have the task back on both monitors, but i guess the only way he was able to do that was to mirror the display.

This is an interesting questions also. It would be great if we had 2 independent start/task bars for each monitor, so the that windows opened on that monitor will stay with that monitor's task bar.

It may have been a dream but somewhere I read that the new dual processors could possibly achieve this process. Unfotunately, the second processor will not be able to run software. It could only perform minial actions as it would be running at only 200 mhz.

I guess for this purpose you need to buy Thinkpad W700 series... I don't see its possible doing on windows vista except you use third party softwares..

Not possible to be running two monitors with separate tasks in the way of two OS's, but yes you can have multiple apps running on either monitor.

Have a look at UltraMon Will add a fully functioning taskbar to second monitor (minus Sys Tray). Also allows wallpapers to be either stretched across both monitors (look here for wallpapers designed for dual monitors), or separate wallpapers for each monitor. Will also add extra buttons to top of windows to either flick to other monitor or to stretch over both.

Is not free, at $39, but yet to find a decent free alternative. If on Vista, you'll need the beta (3+) version, but work very well indeed :)

Hello any body n

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.