When I booted up this morning the computer gets to the welcome screen and then reboots, constantly stuck in this cycle. I can't get into safe mode. I've only just finished reinstalling everything after this happened a week or so ago. I'm fed up with XP!!!! Help please.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Follow my instructions
* Make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the CD (put the CD above the HD in the boot order)
* Insert the XP CD and boot to it
* When you see " To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER",
go ahead and press ENTER
* You will now see an option to repair Windows by pressing
"R". Do not select this option - it will only take you to the
Recovery Console which is not what we want to do. Instead, choose to continue the installation
* When you see the license agreement, press F8 to agree
* On the next screen make sure your current XP installation is
selected and then press "R" to repair XP
* At this point XP will begin to install on top of itself, replacing
damaged, missing or altered system files. Follow the instructions
on the remaining screens to complete the Repair Install. It will look very much like a normal (new) OS installation.

If all goes well your repaired XP installation will remain iintact,
keeping your personalized settings and installed programs as they originally were. Remember, choose the second repair option, not the first.

Thanks for that. I did try it last time but it seemed to muck many things up. Do I have to reinstall updates and service packs after the repair?

maybe
first try to jump into xp in safe mode keep pressing the F8 while booting the system,and try a system restore

Hi,

I tried the repair and everything seems to have worked out. Thanks a lot.

Mike

Thanks for that. I did try it last time but it seemed to muck many things up. Do I have to reinstall updates and service packs after the repair?

Well if you have your Driver CD then everything should be fine!

" Do I have to reinstall updates and service packs after the repair?"
"Maybe"
No maybe about it, you will need to dl all Windows updates again.

Thank you for this!!!! you rock :)

My laptop had the xpantivirus on it. It was fine Tuesday night when I quit working at 6:30p and when I got up Wed morning the desktop was changed to a black background with a big 'warning' message in the middle of the screen and locked/disabled so I could not change it to anything else and my system tray kept showing a red x saying my system was infected...blah,blah blah, please click here and install this antivirus removal software.

I knew what it was the minute I saw it, so I did not install anything additional, instead I started running spybot search & destroy, and downloaded malwarebytes anti malware program (internet was disabled for any sites except the download site they were trying to direct you to) so I used my husband's computer in order to load it on mine via a thumb drive. Everything seemed to be removed, except my internet access was still disabled.

I went into safe mode and run the malware programs again (found 3 more files) and tried doing different things, with no luck so my corp office help desk told me to send in my laptop to be rebuilt. ( I have to much data/client files/other programs, etc to do this)

My 16 yr old later confessed he used my laptop after I went to bed tues night, he said his computer was doing the same thing as mine and he used his thumb drive to try and get an updated copy of mcafee off of my computer...so I am not quite sure if it got on my laptop from his thumb drive - he has since been grounded for a month because he knows he is not supposed to touch my work computer.

As of yesterday I thought the only thing currently wrong with it was the internet still being disabled.... so I was going to post the log files on this site to get that resolved. I figured I needed to reboot and go into safe mode to run them.....except when I did, I got caught in this log on/log off loop and really thought I had dorked it up :) until I found your posting.

Worked like a charm....however I still have the issue logging onto the internet though..so back to where I started previously.

If you have any suggestions on the internet access issue....
I think it is some sort of registry setting, but I have not figured out which one yet....I can go into run>cmd and type ipconfig and ping the ip addresses of my isp (Comcast) and other websites like google or yahoo, so I know my wireless is working and accessing the internet...I can also connect to the corp office via vpn (which I cannot do without internet access)...but I cannot get into outlook (offline mode only). When I do open an internet browser (I am on IE7) it just comes up with a page cannot be displayed, if you type another url in the address bar, across the bottom of the screen you can see where it is trying to add a .edu or .org extension to everything, which is why I think it then comes up with the page cannot be displayed message for any website I try to go to.....

I also tried to download a different browser (firefox) as some other postings suggested to my thumb drive and install it on the bad laptop...still have the same issue.

Thanks again for this posting!!!!
Tamara

Perhaps you could dl hijackthis.exe and load it into your pc? Unload the log and post it.
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then... rename hijackthis.exe to imabunny.exe
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe
-CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.
Btw, can Explorer [not IE] accesss the web? Just type a URL or IP addy into the address box...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.