My computer keeps rebooting after it gets to the windows logon screen. I tried windows xp disk and recovery console chkdsk /r but still no luck. It might be a virus but if it is how can i clean it when i cant logon to do so.

Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Any chance that it will start in Safe Mode? If so, go Control Panel>system>Advanced>Startup n Recovey Settings, uncheck Automatically Restart; set Write Debug Info to none.
See if there is an error code on your screen when it next halts, and note any drivers/services mentioned.

Try sfc /scannow

Any chance that it will start in Safe Mode? If so, go Control Panel>system>Advanced>Startup n Recovey Settings, uncheck Automatically Restart; set Write Debug Info to none.
See if there is an error code on your screen when it next halts, and note any drivers/services mentioned.

I cant get into safe mode

try ,chkdsk /p /f

Because you have the Recovery Console you may wish to work your way through this procedure. It does seem that restarts as the Welcome screen is displayed do not have many causes other than this:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm
-start with the section:
"Or:
Place your XP CD in and navigate to the Recovery Console.
Change the C:\Windows prompt to: C:\Windows\System32 and copy userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe..."

There is also this post by Yzowl:
http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-Xp-Login-Problem-t42529.html
-use the Code line for the REG command.

These two methods [if they apply to you] attack the problem from different angles : one replaces wsupdater.exe with userintit.exe, the other uses the RC to repair the reg key so that it points to where it should [the default].
Not saying that this is your particular problem, though...

Just throwing this out there, but do you guys think a fix boot, or fixmbr will help with this issue....it seems as though I resolved an issue similar to this a while ago using this method. --i could be completely wrong--!

no fixboot and fixmbr have nothing to do with this.

don't have a fix for this but do have a comment as usuall!
this on kellys corner and other links here and within kellys corner "restarts at the Welcome screen" are referring to when you actually click on a user name at the welcome screen to enter and then the computer reboots ,
and the links to post by Yzowl: cure didn't actually didn't fix the problem for those who tried it

So the post here do you get to click on a username at the welcome screen !!?????????????

Yeah, caper.. the post I made is for repairing a problem created by a specific piece of malware. He could have a problem with a system file, I don't know which.
Some system files can be replaced by using the EXPAND command in RC and the XP cd i386 directory.

Finally solved the problem. I am using a nvidia 7 series graphic card so I removed it and hey presto the computer opened up as normall. I put the card in again just to make sure and again the problem occured, so i removed it. I wonder if it is the graphic card fault as it is only 6 months old or is it the agp slot that caused the problem. But thanks everybody that helped me .

probably just a driver issue

try the newest drivers from nvidias site

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.