I have an IBM ThinkPad that was once a part of a student network at a university. I own the laptop and took it with me after graduation. It has Windows XP Pro. I wanted to update the anti-virus software to Norton 2009. SInce I had an older version of Norton on the HD, I had to delete the older version. Not so easy, it was password protected. I went into the Registry and found the older Norton and set the bit to 0 so that I could delete it w/o the password. So far so good. I installed the 2009 Norton antivirus and not I can't turn the laptop off. I get to the "Windows is shutting down..." message and get the following error: "The instruction as 0x004497c0 referrenced memory at 0x00001608. The memory could not be written."

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Get the Norton removal tool from their tech website for your old norton AV service. You may find you need to reinstall the new version.

I have already removed the older version of Norton using the Windows "Add or Remove Programs" and installed the 2009 version of Norton. The trouble started when I installed the 2009 version of Norton. At least when I first noticed the problem.

One more thing I didn't mention in my first post. I can't do a system restore since I can't get the system to shut down.

Should I try removing the 2009 Norton ?

Have you tried holding the power button down?

Perhaps remove Norton 2009 and run CCleaner.

Holding down the power buttom always works. However, by not shutting down automatically, the computer will not hibernate nor allow me to do a System Restore!

Member Avatar for rs_sis

I have already removed the older version of Norton using the Windows "Add or Remove Programs" and installed the 2009 version of Norton. The trouble started when I installed the 2009 version of Norton. At least when I first noticed the problem.

One more thing I didn't mention in my first post. I can't do a system restore since I can't get the system to shut down.

Should I try removing the 2009 Norton ?

Check the Event Viewer, there might be some
important information about the "shutdown" error.

Yes, you can try uninstall Norton to find out if this shutdown problem is related to Norton.

Holding down the power buttom always works. However, by not shutting down automatically, the computer will not hibernate nor allow me to do a System Restore!

Have you tried entering safe mode?

"I have already removed the older version of Norton using the Windows "Add or Remove Programs""
-use the Norton removal tool specific to that old installation. They publish it for a reason.

It took me three tries, but I finally got Norton 2009 removed. All of the problems went away. I tried re-installing Norton 2009 and got some of the problems back. I plan to contact both IBM and Norton tomorrow night to see if they know if any compatibility issues between IBM ThinkPads and Norton 2009.

It took me three tries, but I finally got Norton 2009 removed. All of the problems went away. I tried re-installing Norton 2009 and got some of the problems back. I plan to contact both IBM and Norton tomorrow night to see if they know if any compatibility issues between IBM ThinkPads and Norton 2009.

Hi Tom,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

There are no known issues with installing Norton AntiVirus 2009 on a ThinkPad. You should make sure that you have all of the Microsoft patches applied to Windows XP by running Windows Update as your first step.

The Norton Removal Tool was created to remove all traces of Norton before installing a newer version so that you have a clean installation. Please carefully follow the steps below to properly remove and then install the updated version of Norton AntiVirus. Make note of your Activation Key which you will be prompted for during the installation of Norton AntiVirus 2009.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below and then choose the "Download" button under 'Norton AntiVirus" to download the latest installer.

Download the latest Norton AntiVirus installer

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton AntiVirus 2009 and choose "Run LiveUpdate." If any updates are installed, restart your computer. This step will also invoke the new "Pulse Updates" feature in Norton AntiVirus, which will automatically check for and install definition updates every 5-15 minutes in the background, so that you are always protected against the latest threats that are discovered.

Please follow these instructions and let me know if you still experience any issues.

Thank you,
Mike

I had a toshiba with XP media center and there was a similar issue.

I found hitting the windows key and L will lock the computer (switch users, not sure) and you can then click the shut down button and it shuts down.

I am affraid mike this was due to norton 360. I think it is a uncommon issue, may be something to do with other software installed aswell.

But yes wiping 360 off and replacing it with AVG Free Edition seemed to do the trick (symantec was running out in I think it was a week anyway). I have never come accross this issue with Internet Security though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.