1. My adult daughter’s Toshiba Satellite computer started acting strangely lately. At first only rarely, but finally almost every time it was used, it kept popping up a dialog box purporting to show “search results” even though none had been asked for. Closing the box merely brought up another one, more rapidly at times than one could delete them.
2. I built her a desktop machine, since she had wanted one anyway, installed Windows 7 RC, and transferred the data from the laptop there. Desktop machine works fine, so I took the laptop and backed up the data again, then formatted and partitioned the hard drive into one large partition.
3. Tried to install Windows 7 RC on the laptop. It would sometimes refuse to boot from the install disk at all, but at other times it would start, go through all the preliminary installation until it came time to do an automatic reboot. The “press any key to read from the CD or DVD” line would show up, but when I did nothing, it would NOT continue the installation as it should. If I waited long enough, or succumbed to frustration and pressed Enter, it would start a rapid beeping that became continuous, exactly like a stuck key sound. Many attempts got the same result.
4. Took the laptop to a reputable repair shop, and the technician, suspicious because of the noise, removed and reseated the keyboard. He was then able to easily install a copy of Vista he had handy. On hearing this, I asked him to delete the OS and I paid and took the laptop home.
5. Attempted to install Windows 7 RC (32 bit) again – piece of cake! No hesitation, no screaming. All looked great, so I installed a few programs, like Microsoft Office 2007. Went away for dinner and came back to find the same old problem – the search result dialog box popping up faster than I could delete them! This after several formats, repartitioning, and the installation of two totally different operating systems! Ruined my 77th birthday!
6. Deflated and frustrated – any help?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Popups, can't be anything except Adware ofcourse, do the following :
Download Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition 8.0, install it, Update, Run the scan, fix the results, reboot and see if the problem persists...If yes then do the following..

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* Make sure all applications including browsers are closed during the scan and you are preferably not in safe mode
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad, Save the Logfile.
* Immediately Reboot he computer

*Now download TrendMicro HijackThis
*Install it, Run it and click on 'Run a scan and save a logfile'
*After the scan you will get a notepad window with the scan results, Save it.
* Post both the MBAM and HJT logs back here.

I fixed mine by replacing the keyboard which cost me $10 and 10 minutes. I had been plagued with the search pop ups for months. Mine is an HP laptop, dv9200 series. I had a feeling all along it was the keyboard. I had to re-seat the keyboard connector when I first got the PC since a few keys weren't working. Later on it developed the search pop up problem, usually many of them open all the time. A real pain. You were almost there when you had the keyboard re-seated. Replace it. They're cheap. I found mine on ebay for $9.99. I hope this helps. I had never found anyone who could help me, but I fixed it myself.

Popups, can't be anything except Adware ofcourse, do the following :
Download Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition 8.0, install it, Update, Run the scan, fix the results, reboot and see if the problem persists...If yes then do the following..

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* Make sure all applications including browsers are closed during the scan and you are preferably not in safe mode
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad, Save the Logfile.
* Immediately Reboot he computer

*Now download TrendMicro HijackThis
*Install it, Run it and click on 'Run a scan and save a logfile'
*After the scan you will get a notepad window with the scan results, Save it.
* Post both the MBAM and HJT logs back here.

First thing, HJT Logs do not belong in this forum. This is not a "Virus and Spyware" forum.
Read the "Announcement" at the top of the forum page.
Second, if you are not a qualified and trained "Trusted HJT Advisor", then you shouldn't be giving that kind of advice. It would be better to refer them to the Virus and Spyware forum and let the experts help.
BTW, pop-ups can be more than just adware.

Regards, Don

Yes, it was the keyboard. Finally found a tech who was smart enough to realize it! Fixed under warranty. Thanks to all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.