DEP will suddenly not let me log on to IE on my laptop, and unfortunatley it's the only browser I have installed there. Every time I try to log on a message pops up saying DEP is shutting down the program. I ran a virus scan and nothing. I tried going into systems advanced and typing in IE for programs not to run with DEP, but nothing. I can't turn DEP off, so I don't know how to get around it or uninstall it. Please help.
Ed

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello, Ed, let's assume for a start that DEP is doing the right thing, and saving you from some malware that your AV does not see. It happens.... and you CAN turn DEP off, but as I said, let's assume that it is doing the good job that it should do. Your IE may be being used by another program to its own ends. On the other hand, it may be a legitimate plugin that is causing it. But try this scan first, please:
==Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
or: http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
=Dclick that file, mbam-setup.exe, to install the application,
-ensure that it is set to update and start, else start it via the icon, and UPDATE it.
Select "Perform QUICK Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you... do not click the Save Logfile button.
When it completes examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Post the Notepad log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].

MBAM can still be installed and updated without a connection. Using a flashdrive on another system, download & save the installer file from http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyt...are_d5756.html, then dl the latest updates file: http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/database.jsp , both to a thumbdrive.
Run the installer, when it completes uncheck the Launch and Update boxes to finish. Next, dclick the mbam-rules.exe file, it will install into MBAM.
Start MBAM via the icon and ...

Gerbil,
Thanks. I tried Malware remover, and it found a few trojans, but even after removing them DEP still pops up immediately when I try to access IE. I ran the malware remover, full scan, twice. Once I tried to jump right on IE afterwards. Once I did a restart before jumping onto IE. So...how do you remove or neutralize DEP? We have a home computer, and only use the subject netbook computer to go online. So it's basically useless to us if we can't get online.

Gerbil,
Thanks. I tried Malware remover, and it found a few trojans, but even after removing them DEP still pops up immediately when I try to access IE. I ran the malware remover, full scan, twice. Once I tried to jump right on IE afterwards. Once I did a restart before jumping onto IE. So...how do you remove or neutralize DEP? We have a home computer, and only use the subject netbook computer to go online. So it's basically useless to us if we can't get online.

post the malwarebytes log ,requested by Gerbil

post the malwarebytes log ,requested by Gerbil

Here it is:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2182
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

6/16/2009 7:08:48 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-16 (19-08-48).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 152563
Time elapsed: 49 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6096e38f-5ac1-4391-8ec4-75dfa92fb32f} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{6096e38f-5ac1-4391-8ec4-75dfa92fb32f} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\wjowuqumofut (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\byuzufoyem (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Common (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

Ed, try going into pgm files\inernet explorer\.. and dclicking iexplore.exe. I think your IE icons are corrupted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.