I am working on somone's Toshiba laptop that originally came with vista. If I try to reformat and do a clean install of vista, it always errors out. I know it isn't the disk because I've used it on many other computers. It's the Vista all-in-one install disk.

But i decided to try to load XP Pro. loaded flawlessly and runs flawlessly, just don't have all the drivers for the system. it won't let me upgrade from xp pro to home premium. So i started the clean install again from within the xp OS. I've tried it both with and without reformatting.

The installation goes all the way through and doesn't error out. but when it restarts it blue screens when trying to boot vista everytime. I get the error 0x000000F4. any ideas of what it could be? i need some suggestions. and windows repair doesn't work. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm wondering if particular drivers are needed to be loaded before the OS can actually be installed (HDD or RAID perhaps??).

I'd be contacting Toshiba support and they should be able to guide you in right direction if this is in fact the case.

Toshiba is no help. they just want to send you their restore discs and I don't really have time to wait for them because this should've been done a week ago.

It's not raid, there is only one hard drive in it. shouldn't any hard drive drivers be included in the vista installation? especially if they are included in xp?

Toshiba is no help. they just want to send you their restore discs and I don't really have time to wait for them because this should've been done a week ago.

That surprises me, as they were fantastic when I was transitioning from XP to Vista on my Sat Pro

It's not raid, there is only one hard drive in it. shouldn't any hard drive drivers be included in the vista installation? especially if they are included in XP?

I do know there were changes in what hard-drives Vista supports what XP did. I also know that in the case of my wife's Acer Aspire (not even 12mths old), the drivers page on their site lists a " SATA AHCI Driver" (although proved unnecessary in Win7 install). Never really ran into any issues myself, so not as familiar on the topic as some. I would recommend PM'ing jbennet, as I know he has a fair amount of knowledge on that topic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.