I have acquired a used canon 1d mk ii slr camera which should connect to pc via ieee 1394 firewire cable.This is supposed to open Canon software for downloading pictures and also backloading personal settings into camera. The pc is almost new Gigabyte mbo with Intel E8400 core two duo, 2gb ram etc. A pci IEEE1394 card (VIA OHCI Chipset)was installed especially for the camera. All Canon software was loaded before camera was connected and turned on. XP (sp3) says the firewire device is active and working with standard xp drivers etc. Canon software says the camera is not connected. 'My Computer' does not find the camera connected.
The camera is not showing in 'Control Panel' Scanners and Imaging Devices. On POST the irq given for ieee 1394 is 5. Device manager says irq is 18 (PCI slot 3) When the card was in PCI slot 1, irq in POST was 3 and XP 20. The mbo has 3 PCI slots all "auto" in bios. Canon WIA driver update has been loaded (yet this camera model is not in list of WIA supported models????) New and different cables have been tried. Pictures are being transferred using PC's built in card reader but I would like to sort the firewire issue in order to customise the photo settings. Camera is barely used so I don't suspect faulty firewire port in camera body. What can I do? Any help or suggestions appreciated. There are similar problems out there from other users but no definitive answers. Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Don't you have to set the camera to work with PC? Every camera I've delt with senses the connection and prompts for either printing the photos or "PC mode" (which is pretty much USB stick-like behaviour).

.. and disregard the IRQs.. they are set automatically by XP and those settings override the BIOS settings.. and there is IRQ-sharing technology that makes IRQ conflicts a thing of a past...

Don't you have to set the camera to work with PC? Every camera I've delt with senses the connection and prompts for either printing the photos or "PC mode" (which is pretty much USB stick-like behaviour).

.. and disregard the IRQs.. they are set automatically by XP and those settings override the BIOS settings.. and there is IRQ-sharing technology that makes IRQ conflicts a thing of a past...

Hi Chaky. Thanks for quick response. This camera was released 2004 and superceded 2007 with new model. It does not have PC communication method in any menus on camera body. It has USB port under IEEE 1394 port but this is for direct printing thru pictbridge printers. My pc gives no "found new hardware" or any other message either when camera was turned on or even when PCI card was installed. Regards, Norris12

Have you tried connecting via USB? Maybe it is not just for printing photos.

This Canon software you mentioned, is it something you got with that camera, or is it something you downloaded?

What model is it?

Chaky,
The camera is Canos EOS 1D Mk II Professional SLR - very expensive on release!! The Canon software came with the camera, EOS viewer utility (which includes Twain driver for Win 98 and WIA driver on cd. Also came with separate cd, Canon Digital Photo Professional which is used to deal with photos in RAW, not JPEG) The USB connect gave a message like "camera not recognised" and opened Windows fax and photo viewer rather than the EOS Viewer Utilty which it should do via firewire. All the software and drivers have been updated from Canon.USA website. As mentioned there are some other users in the world that have the same issue (not necessarily with this model camera but with camcorders etc) but I have not found a solution yet, hence my frustration. Is it possible that VIA chipset on IEEE 1394 card is problem? I have heard of some issues with that
Cheers...Norris12

Well, I think that this would have to do.

If it doesn't, well.. then you have every right to demand some customer support form Cannon.

Regarding the firewire suspitions.. I'm not too sure there. If I was you, I would try different PCs (and different IEEE 1394 controllers) to rule out hardware or driver incompatibility. Many motherboards (includin mine) have intergrated firewire controller, so that won't be too difficult to test.

If it works on different machine, then it just might be firewire controller that is giving you trouble.

Thanks Chaky for your efforts. I'll try to find a friend with a firewire enabled pc to test. Will let you know when solved.
Cheers, Norris12

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.