Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I have been unable to uninstall a program called microsoft plus. When I go into add/remove it won't let me uninstall. I would get a 1606 error message. I narrowed it down and found this one that I will list as the one. I have gone in and fixed the one entitled recent which is what part of the problem was. It is part of step 3. My question is in step 8. When I go to hkey local maching etc.... user shell folder. It says if any of the values are different to change them to what is shown. My problem is that all of the values are the same but there seems to be one that isn't listed. It is labeled default and under type it just says reg sz with nothing else and no value. Should this be there? Here is the copy of the article. Please only respond if you know what to do. "Thanks.
You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program
Article ID : 886549
Last Review : March 8, 2005
Revision : 3.0
Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
On this page
SYMPTOMS
CAUSE
RESOLUTION

SYMPTOMS
When you try to install or remove any one of the products listed in the "Applies To" section, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Error 1606: Could Not Access Network Location
CAUSE
This issue may occur if there is an incorrect setting in one of the following registry subkeys: • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

RESOLUTION
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit.exe, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
3. In the right pane, verify that the values are the same as the values in the following table. If each value matches the table, go to step 7.

Value name Type Value data
AppData REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
Cache REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Cookies REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
Desktop REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
Favorites REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
History REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\History
LocalAppData REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
Local Settings REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings
My Pictures REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
NetHood REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\NetHood
Personal REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
PrintHood REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\PrintHood
Programs REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
Recent REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Recent
SendTo REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\SendTo
Start Menu REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
Startup REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\programs\Startup
Templates REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Templates

4. If any Name, Type, or Value does not match the table in step 3, right-click the Value name, and then click Delete.
5. In the left pane, right-click User Shell Folders, point to New, click Expandable String Value, type the Name value that you want from the table in step 3, and then press ENTER.
6. Right-click the value that you created in step 5, click Modify, type the value in the Value data box for the Value name, and then click OK.
7. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
8. In the right pane, verify that the values are the same as the values in the following table. If each value matches the table, go to step 12.

Value name Type Value data
Common AppData REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data
Common Desktop REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop
Common Documents REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents
Common Favorites REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites
Common Programs REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
Common Start Menu REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start menu
Common Startup REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Common templates REG_EXPAND_SZ %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Templates

9. If any Name, Type, or Value does not match the table in step 3, right-click the Value name, and then click Delete.
10. In the left pane, right-click User Shell Folders, point to New, click Expandable String Value, type the Name value that you want from the table in step 3, and then press ENTER.
11. Right-click the value that you created in step 5, click Modify, type the value in the Value data box for the Value name, and then click OK.
12. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It is labeled default and under type it just says reg sz with nothing else and no value. Should this be there?

Yes, it should be there. The "(Default)" value exists in most (and perhaps all) Registry keys.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Does this applies to Windows 7 has in;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

everything is different from what's in your tables.

I am trying to install Microsoft Learning Essential but it says ''... error 1606.could not access network location 0. '' (without quotes)

Should I delete all in each registry file and create? I new app for school.

Please see how best anyone can help me. Thank you!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.