Hi, I have an XP sp2 laptop I use for work.
I was installing some broadband software. The machine locked up, I restarted it and received the following error.

lsass.exe
Bad image
c:/windows/system32/dnsapi.dll.

I've tried booting to last good config, starting it in safe mode but I can't get past the error. The screen is black with the error displayed in the middle of the screen. Has anyone seen this before?

Regards,

Jim

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi, I have an XP sp2 laptop I use for work.
I was installing some broadband software. The machine locked up, I restarted it and received the following error.

lsass.exe
Bad image
c:/windows/system32/dnsapi.dll.

I've tried booting to last good config, starting it in safe mode but I can't get past the error. The screen is black with the error displayed in the middle of the screen. Has anyone seen this before?

Regards,

Jim

Sounds like you picked up a sasser virus.

http://www.pchell.com/virus/sasser.shtml

Cheers Adam,

Sorted it, I got the dnsapi.dll from my desktop, booted the laptop to an XPSP2 recovery CD, made sure the USD drives were loaded. Deleted the dnsapi.dll replaced it with the one from my desktop PC. I then ran the sasser killer from microsoft just to be sure.

Thanks,

Jim

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.