What the heck?...

My system was working fine then it just stiffed up on me. I had to unplug it to shut down...nothing worked. I did a surface scan of the HD and it came out fine but now when I boot up...the XP logo doesn't show then this error shows up...

WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

uhhh...can I fix this withought having to format?

HEEELLPPP!!!!!! :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Try starting the computer using The Last Known Good Configuration, more information and instructions HERE

Do you know what causes this problem other then the computer not being shut down properly

Do you know what causes this problem other then the computer not being shut down properly

Mine was down to a few power cuts in the area ...I believe.
Same as not shutting down properly really.

Not experienced it from any other causes

that happened 2 me it wos something wrong with tha bios. i had 2 get sum guy 2 come and fix it but i didnt hav 2 reformat. so i'd just call the company ur PC came from if it had warranty or take it 2 a PC repair shop

or if u can change the bios yourself if your professional

when this happens iv always used the following to fix the problem,

use windows disk and boot from tht...
on the first scren select "Repair" or "r"

the select the windows installation to enter... usually "1"

then hit enter,

then run the following comands in the following order,

1) FIXBOOT
2) FIXMBR
3) CHKDSK /P/R
4) EXIT

then select start windows normally if prompted.... should work from thn on...

:D - has saved my bacon in shop many times :D

When i put in the cd the drive is laboring bt i still get the message windows fail--

When i put in the cd the drive is laboring

Get it to push,push ,push , oh sorry i thought you said it was in labor.

explain you problem ,so we don't have to read all the old post in this old thread that you have hijacked !

I got the system 32 error.
Tried to use repair console but still get system 32 error when i put in the boot cd.

use of F2 or Del did not make any difference- still get system 32 error

tried cd in another computer and got the screen with 'r'.

Changed the cd drive in the defective computer did not help

Open the tower cover and remove any addin PCI cards like sound card and modem or network card .see what happens ,if you have more than one stick of ram remove all but one .

same thing happened.that system 32 error...everytime when i install a new window error message come without doing nework ...plzz what should i do?

same thing happened.that system 32 error...everytime when i install a new window error message come without doing nework ...plzz what should i do?

Hi nelly123.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.