Hi, new here and relatively terrible at computers. The problem I believe is something attacked svchost.exe and AVG picked it up and I ended up deleting it. After my XP laptop seemed wonky afterwards, I decide to restore svchost.exe. It shows that svchost.exe is back but on start-up, it gives me an error message saying it cannot access svchost.exe.
Now, ever since then, I can't even turn my laptop off properly; I now have to hold down the power button to shut it off. When I have the laptop on for a couple hours, around 5-6, the commit charge reaches its peak and most of my programs I'm running shut down. I usually only have Firefox, iTunes, and maybe AIM running. After all the programs crash I end up having to hold down the power button to shut it off improperly.
Any help on this? Sorry for another svchost.exe but looking online didn't seem to match my laptop's symptoms.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,
Try this. Sometimes, some of the windows protected files can be lost or changed. To detect any problems run the program “System File Checker” (SFC). Before you run it you should purge your PC’s cache:-

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”.. sfc.exe /purgecache

Note:- the space after “exe”.

The “purgecache” in this command will empty the cache before you run the file checker. You should always purge the cache before scanning with the System File Checker (SFC). That way, you can be sure that system files are copied from your Windows installation media, and are not infected with malware or corrupted. After the cache has been purged, run System File Checker.

Go to “START”
Click “RUN”
Type or “copy and paste”… sfc.exe /scannow

Note:- the space after “exe”. You may be required to use your installation disk.

This could take a long time to complete, when finished, reboot and see if the problem still exists.

Oh great tips. I wiil check it next time. I had to face these problems regulalry and I used to end up with reinstalling Win XP. Now next time I will use your tips.

Ah, thanks a billion, Bob. I'll try this out once I get my installation disk, but there's something I'm worried about. If I try to reboot normally it won't work and I have to hold down the power button to shut it off. Think it'll still work?

I absolutely applaud you beautiful techies for your ability to understand computers so well; the world would be in chaos without you folks. And I'm glad you got something out of this too, ladyqueen!

Looks like there's no edit button; sorry if double posting is generally looked down upon here.

So it looks like there's no problem with the CPU usage. It jumps sporadically from 4% to about 11% and every once in a while can jump up to 70%, 90%, or some other high percentage. On the other hand, the commit charge goes up 1M about every second or two. Thoughts, concerns?

Ah, thanks a billion, Bob. I'll try this out once I get my installation disk, but there's something I'm worried about. If I try to reboot normally it won't work and I have to hold down the power button to shut it off. Think it'll still work?

I absolutely applaud you beautiful techies for your ability to understand computers so well; the world would be in chaos without you folks. And I'm glad you got something out of this too, ladyqueen!

If you can get Windows started, you can then run SFC and hopefully fix your problem, if you can't get Windows to boot up, on the machine you are using now, go here and read how to do it this way..
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125689"

Hi, new here and relatively terrible at computers. The problem I believe is something attacked svchost.exe and AVG picked it up and I ended up deleting it. After my XP laptop seemed wonky afterwards, I decide to restore svchost.exe. It shows that svchost.exe is back but on start-up, it gives me an error message saying it cannot access svchost.exe.
Now, ever since then, I can't even turn my laptop off properly; I now have to hold down the power button to shut it off. When I have the laptop on for a couple hours, around 5-6, the commit charge reaches its peak and most of my programs I'm running shut down. I usually only have Firefox, iTunes, and maybe AIM running. After all the programs crash I end up having to hold down the power button to shut it off improperly.
Any help on this? Sorry for another svchost.exe but looking online didn't seem to match my laptop's symptoms.

svchost .exe is generic name for host process for windows services and you could have 5or 6 different services using it ,

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.