Hi

I'm running Windows XP Pro. SP3. RDP used to work fine but following the SP3 patch (I think) I noticed that the RDP icon had changed in appearence. When I try and use Remote Desktop it launches and then displays an error box saying

"Remote Desktop Connection has encountered a problem and needs to close."

If I leave the error message on the screen I can use remote desktop but the error always stays on top. If I click the close button on the message box it closes remote desktop.

Event viewer shows the following:

Faulting application mstsc.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x010f7390.

It's very frustrating. Can anyone point me in the direction of a fix for this?

Regards

Alistair

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

In XP SP3 a change has been made to the RDP client in regards to how to connect to a console session, previously it was nessesary to use the "console" parameter, but now the parameter has changed name to "admin".

A possible solution is

- Stop the process mstsc.exe
- Created a new folder "RDP" in %windir%
- Copy "mstsc.exe" and "mstscax.dll" from "C:\Windows\
$NtServicePackUninstall$" to this folder
- Copy the folder "en-US" "from C:\Windows\System32" to this folder
- Copy the "mstsc.exe.mui" and "mstscax.dll.mui" from "C:\Windows\
$NtServicePackUninstall$" to "C:\Windows\RDP\en-US"
- Change RDP shortcut to ""C:\Windows\RDP\mstsc.exe"

Let me know if it works.
Mikey

magic_mikey, thanks for your solution.

I have Win SP3 for a few months, but few days ago my remote desktop connection stopped to work, ending with error :
Faulting application mstsc.exe, ....... .

I've followed your solution and it WORKS !

Thanks !

In XP SP3 a change has been made to the RDP client in regards to how to connect to a console session, previously it was nessesary to use the "console" parameter, but now the parameter has changed name to "admin".

A possible solution is

Let me know if it works.
Mikey

Hi Mikey

Thanks for the tip my RDP now works without any problem. I had trouble finding the "mstsc.exe.mui" and "mstscax.dll.mui" files but it turned out that they were already in the en-US directory!

Thanks again for the help.

Alistair

Thanks Mikey - that worked for me too.

I have XP Pro SP2. I recently updated to XP SP3 but the Windows Installer stopped working so I rolled it back. After the rollback mstsc.exe stopped working (process showed in Tasl Mgr but no window appeared). I used your fix and mstsc is working OK.

Thanks again,
Andy

It works!

Thanks Mikey. I owe you a beer.

Will this also work if running into the same problems with Windows XP and RDC coming up with error 6.0.6001.18000 but a different offset number?

I upgraded to 6.1 and since get an error that RDC has to close due to error. And uninstalling does not help. I need 6.1 in order to utilize some terminal services.

Thank you in advance.

Mike - gret solution, many thanks! Works fine for me. I guess it amounts to rolling back that part of SP3...

A possible solution is

Let me know if it works.
Mikey

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.