A few days ago, my computer, running Win XP S2 couldnt find the drivers for the DVD-engraver. I looked on its website and it seems that there are no drivers for the DVD player.

Then I plugged my phone on USB and he couldnt find the drivers for the phone either.
Even though these 2 things were working very well.

So, I dont think its a hardware problem. Has anyone seen this before? I have added all the latest updates for Windows, I have norton antivirus corporate edition. So, i dont know what can be the cause.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

First port of call, I'd say, is to repair Windows from the Management Console. You'll need an install disk if the stuff isn't on your HDD.

The cause is usually only one of three: 1) A glitch that knocked the registry out of kielter (or a glitch that had other delete effects); 2) A Virus or Trojan not detected by your NAV; 3) You've installed something and that process wasn't clean or was malicious in its construction.

The drivers for DVD devices are usually internally available from XP or would be auto-downloaded - these devices are fairly generic.

What anti-spyware SW do you have to detect Trojans?

I have Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 7.6.
but it seems now that I have that virus MHTMLRedir.Exploit. Will try and remove it.

Let us know how you get on. Usual thing though is that the registry has been affected and there will be a lingering stub to defeat removal except by the most convoluted methods.

I don't know this particular one - so maybe ...

Best of luck. And, like me, move away from NAV if you can.

NAV is not good? I heard of Panda or even Kepirsky but I dont want something that slows my computer too much.

If NAV didn't detect your virus/trojan .....

Kaspersky & McAfee don't slow the computer especially if you are dual core.

Yeah norton is the worst AV ever. It uses loads of memory and doesnt detect much.

I have put a new antivirus, Avast, I have used an AV online and it detected and cleaned all trojan etc...
But still cant make my DVD player work. He still cannot find it. Is there a way to give him the drivers you usually find on XP?

Possibly search through microsofts website, for drivers that could help you a lot. If you desperatly need it you would have to reinstall XP which is the last option to choose.

How do i re installl XP without a DVd drive... And i have soooo much on it... There s got to be a better way.
Thanks anyway,... Will check on microsoft website

I assume you have a CD with Windows on it. I assume, for the moment, that you can at least boot, if necessary via F8 to the command line (maybe not).

Get the CD copied to a suitable large USB stick by a friend; after you've booted run SETUP from the USB drive.

Easiest solution is to buy a CD/DVD drive!

I have Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 7.6.
but it seems now that I have that virus MHTMLRedir.Exploit. Will try and remove it.

Just for the hell of it !! norton Corporate Eedition ,goes by the name Symantec corporate edition,not the resource hog the commercial Norton AV is .same company I know .!!!
and its up to Verson 10 now ,so the options of 7.6 to 10 are most likely different ,I use Symantec antivirus v10,and haven't had to fix my computer because of virus in the 3 years i owned it . I know most or all you all ready know this ,just waiting to go to work !!nothing else to do!?[]\]/';

Yeah i have the network associates (mcafee?) AV corp edition through college and its awesome

How do i re installl XP without a DVd drive... And i have soooo much on it... There s got to be a better way.
Thanks anyway,... Will check on microsoft website

i assume you mean you need a dvd to backup you important data ns pictures and stuff,easies thing for this is to get another harddrive internal or external usb type and copy shit to that ,then reinstall winxp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.