Basically, I cannot connect to anything using the telnet software that comes with Windows. I have enabled the telnet service and I can't work out what's causing it so I'm wondering if you guys could help. I'm using Windows XP and the error message I get is:

Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connection failed
Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by fallout4player

I'm using BT and I'm trying to use remote. Is there anyway to stop them blocking it?

Sorry about my last post 23 should be open. It is port 25 that ISPs are blocking.

You are using a CMD prompt in XP? can you ping the site?

Yeah I'm using Command Prompt on XP. I can ping this site fine but when I try telnet on port 80 on this site, the screen goes completely black and I can't type anything.

Do you know any sites that work that I could try it out on. I tried it on LOCIS (The Library of Congress Information System) but I only get the message saying it could not connect, on both 23 and 80.

telnet time-a.nist.gov 13

This will give you the UTC time, date and then disconnect (port 13).

If you are just experimenting why not try your own mail server? I don't know who BT is, but you can find the ports that corrispond to their SMTP an POP3 servers usually 25 and 110.

Yeah that worked. Maybe the LOCIS isn't up and running anymore. Thanks for the help!

PS. BT is an ISP here in the UK. It stands for British Telecom.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.