(xxx.xxx.1.3
Netbook w/ Windows XP sp3
(xxx.xxx.1.4)
Meida Centre Downstairs w/ Windows XP MCE sp3
(xxx.xxx.1.5)
Laptop w/ Windows Vista sp2
(xxx.xxx.1.6)

-----------------------------

The 2 Media Centres are each connected to a router, and the routers are connected to each other via ethernet port 1

D-Link router is primary, and has internet connection.
it has DHCP turned on allocating IP address from xxx.xxx.1.3

The Netgear router has DHCP turned OFF

Using this configuration i am able to have 2 Access points and expand the wifi area allowing the portable computers access from upstairs Or downstairs on seperate access points.

This has been working fine for me so far, however...
I am not sure where the problem lies, but for some reason the Media Centre downstairs (xxx.xxx..1.5) can not access the files from the one upstairs (xxx.xxx.1.3), but the the upstairs machine can access files shared by the one downstairs...

all other PCs can access all files, on all PCs
when the network was first created i had to enter the username and passwords for the PCs each PC trys to access as is normal, however on xxx.xxx.1.3 there are 2 operatng systems, and the 2nd was added AFTER the network was first created. and to avoid confusing the other PC's i changed the username and passowrd from the first OS (XP MCE) to the same as tthat of the new Windows 7 OS

but since the downstairs Machine (xxx.xxx.1.5) has allready accepted username/password details for the Duel OS Machine (xxx.xxx.1.3) (and those details are now WRONG) i cant get it to accept new ones.

This is where i believe the problem lies, however i dont know why the other computers are not being affected by this issue, as i said earlier, the netbook and laptop can still access files from either OS on the duel OS machine (xxx.xxx.1.3)

I would be most gratefull if somebody could provide a solution...
thanx in advance

-Ripps

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hey,

I have a home network consiting of 4 PCs and 2 Wireless Routers

D-Link Router
(xxx.xxx.1.1)
NetGear Router
(xxx.xxx.1.2)
Media Centre Upstairs w/ Windows XP MCE sp3 & Windows 7
(xxx.xxx.1.3
Netbook w/ Windows XP sp3
(xxx.xxx.1.4)
Meida Centre Downstairs w/ Windows XP MCE sp3
(xxx.xxx.1.5)
Laptop w/ Windows Vista sp2
(xxx.xxx.1.6)

The 2 Media Centres are each connected to a router, and the routers are connected to each other via ethernet port 1

D-Link router is primary, and has internet connection.
it has DHCP turned on allocating IP address from xxx.xxx.1.3

The Netgear router has DHCP turned OFF

Using this configuration i am able to have 2 Access points and expand the wifi area allowing the portable computers access from upstairs Or downstairs on seperate access points.

This has been working fine for me so far, however...
I am not sure where the problem lies, but for some reason the Media Centre downstairs (xxx.xxx..1.5) can not access the files from the one upstairs (xxx.xxx.1.3), but the the upstairs machine can access files shared by the one downstairs...

all other PCs can access all files, on all PCs
when the network was first created i had to enter the username and passwords for the PCs each PC trys to access as is normal, however on xxx.xxx.1.3 there are 2 operatng systems, and the 2nd was added AFTER the network was first created. and to avoid confusing the other PC's i changed the username and passowrd from the first OS (XP MCE) to the same as tthat of the new Windows 7 OS

but since the downstairs Machine (xxx.xxx.1.5) has allready accepted username/password details for the Duel OS Machine (xxx.xxx.1.3) (and those details are now WRONG) i cant get it to accept new ones.

This is where i believe the problem lies, however i dont know why the other computers are not being affected by this issue, as i said earlier, the netbook and laptop can still access files from either OS on the duel OS machine (xxx.xxx.1.3)

I would be most gratefull if somebody could provide a solution...
thanx in advance

-Ripps

Windows 7 does not "Officialy" support file sharing with anything below Vista Home Premium. XP has support for Windows 7 Ultimate only. It does sometimes work fine although Windows updates will change settings etc. so one day it will be working and the next it won't.

As for the authentication, I belive that once it has authorised with a username and password even with a user/pass change it will still allow authentication UNLESS you are running an Active Directory server.

i HAVE FOUR COMPUTERS oops sorry on a network using a adsl box and a ethernet router. I add and take away two portables to this system;
OK so it works but one of trhe reasons that it works is that I was advised a ,long time ago by a microsoft engineer! to use static IP addressing rather than DCHP! I have toadmit he was right. each computer has its own different 192.168.xxx.xxx static IP address and all other units on the systemhave theior ,own (eg a network HD etc) address,; DCHP works where one computer is totally in control but ,in my expereince does not work where more than one computer competes for control.

Try setting all the IP's as static rather than dynamlic.
LOL
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.