All I seem to see in new machines at stores is Windows 7 Home Edition.

Mike

because it the cheapest one ,helps keep the price down for the retailer ,
I'm run the ultimate edition ,and really like it ,i see no need to wait either ,go for it,lol

W-7 comes in 3 flavors home premium, pro& ultimate. 32 bit & 64 bit.
go here-http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx this page has comparison chart. Later---

6 editions actually .i according to this site.i knew there was more than 3,win7 starter used on netbooks and a corporate edition ,i searched and found this .
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/166590/six_editions_of_windows_7_whats_with_all_the_whining.html

wtf is this win7 starter? i bought my girlfriend a new laptop acer aspire one netbook. am2 64 1.6ghz 1gig ram.
anyhow im siting here trying to join it to our home metwork but it said you cant create your own homegroup in this edition of windows. and anything alse you would need to properly set this thing up. this is like selling a car thats been stripped of some of its engine vital engine parts! wtf this makes me mad cause it forces you to upgrade and spend another $100. they did this cause it probly was a realy cheap if not free license from microsoft, why would they do this? well i bet microsoft fegured this was a fast way of geting win7 sold. either way this is wrong, you cant even change themes! wtf is this ?????any ideas how i can fix it? or should i just upgrade it to 7 premium? im thinking og going back to vista.

wtf is this win7 starter? i bought my girlfriend a new laptop acer aspire one netbook. am2 64 1.6ghz 1gig ram.
anyhow im siting here trying to join it to our home metwork but it said you cant create your own homegroup in this edition of windows. and anything alse you would need to properly set this thing up. this is like selling a car thats been stripped of some of its engine vital engine parts! wtf this makes me mad cause it forces you to upgrade and spend another $100. they did this cause it probly was a realy cheap if not free license from microsoft, why would they do this? well i bet microsoft fegured this was a fast way of geting win7 sold. either way this is wrong, you cant even change themes! wtf is this ?????any ideas how i can fix it? or should i just upgrade it to 7 premium? im thinking og going back to vista.

and its limited to running only 3 app at once ,,has to do with the size and purpose/use of the netbook ,imagin buying a computer with no internal disk drive ,
you would be better served by installing winxp on the netbook,then work really good on xp.not sure if it will even run win7 premium

I'm at a 7 Certification Triple MCITP: Windows 7, Windows 2008 Server & Enterprise Administrator Boot Camp at CED Solutions in Atlanta and needed to swap my harddrive in my laptop for a bigger one to run vm's.

I ran down to the local pc store bought a 500 gig drive and using the knowlege i learned in the 7 class i swapped it out in under an hour. that includes backing everything up to an external usb drive and swapping hd then restoring it.

7 has the ability to backup to an image then all you need is a 7 install dvd and boot from it and it will find your usb drive with the image and lay it back down. if you're used to old ghost technology this is wayy better and I learned about at a Boot Camp from CED Solutions

Umm... why? I'm running Ubuntu in a VM for my OpSys class and it is only currently using 7.1 gigs of hard drive space. It is set to max allow 8GB of space. It also only needs 256MB RAM (but I just set it to twice that).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.