Can't reinstall Win XP Home Edition, I turn my computer on, incert the cd. the window that ask to start off the cd comes up, I hit any key, It loads everything that it has to load and when it get to the setup window that ask if I want to format the drive the cd drive stops responding. Please help I don't know what to do from here.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

sounds like it may be overheating ,that why it stops responding ,have you opened the case to clean ot fans and stuff of dust buildup .
also why are you install windows did something happen to the computer to require you to do so.

hi booya, try to format your HDD using another computer, plug your hdd to an external USB enclosure.. then try to re-install again...using your PC

Yes I openned it up and blew it out, reseated the memory and I even try another cd drive too. I also reinstalled windows on the drive in my computer as the slave, but when i put it back into the other computer it comes up with the message it find a HD with an operating system.

Could you tell me what's over heating? The processor, the power supply?

Could you tell me what's over heating? The processor, the power supply?

it could be either one ,im not saying it is overheating just troubleshooting the problem with you .

I also reinstalled windows on the drive in my computer as the slave, but when i put it back into the other computer it comes up with the message it find a HD with an operating system.

doesn't really work like that ,as the windows install will see it not the same motherboard and will not load .,if you get to the place were it says it has windows on it ,then why not reload windows again from there .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.