I have an issue that's been beating me up for a week or so. I have an XP PC that will just drop off the network.

What happens is that everything will be fine and then all of a sudden, I cannot browse the internet or use the network at all (shared drives, etc). I can go to a command prompt and ping and get replies, and I can also ping said PC from another and get replies. It's not DNS related because I can ping by name and it will resolve to IP, plus I cannot browse to an IP or access a shared drive by IP of the host.

It's not a network device because other devices are not affected and can continue normally. It's isolated to this one PC. And if I reboot, everything will be just fine... for an undetermined amount of time, then it starts over again.

XP Service pack 3, Windows firewall on, AVG Antivirus (not the internet security package).

I have tried turning Windows firewall off, reseting winsock, resetting TCP/IP, winsock2, everything.
Have ran a spyware and virus scan only to find nothing.

What's even weirder is that if I have an RDP session open to said PC, and it decides to flake, the RDP session will stay up. However, if I close it, I won't be able to establish another session until PC is rebooted.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by arvetus

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the network card. Do a reboot after you uninstall them.

Also if you have an extra NIC laying around you could install it, disable the other adapter and see if the problem persists.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.