Hi there, just got a new pc running windows XP and Ubuntu dual boot. When I boot to windows I plug in the Ethernet cord and I get the message network cable unplugged. Now when I boot into Ubuntu I can use the internet fine.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

check the device manager in xp and make sure that the network device is
install or not disabled

It is both installed and enabled

so this is duel boot so its the same network plug correct ,so it has to be in my opinion and little knowledge its a problem in the network setup of windows xp,what i'm not sure !yet

Yes same port and same cable

I'm not sure if this will help but the port on the back of my pc has no lights showing. also i am using a belkin wireless g router and the port that my pc is plugged into on the router there is a green light flashes slowly

have you tried this ,
you have the two monitor icon in the lower right hand task bar, then you can right click on this icon and try the Repair option

It won't let me click on the repair icon

Yes same port and same cable

I'm not sure if this will help but the port on the back of my pc has no lights showing.

that usually means that the adapter is not functioning but you say you can connect on ubuntu,are the lights on when using ubuntu

It won't let me click on the repair icon

try going to control panel /network and internet connection /then network connections and see if you can click on repair there

that usually means that the adapter is not functioning but you say you can connect on ubuntu,are the lights on when using ubuntu

in ubuntu while doing nothing i get no lights but while browsing i get a green but never the orange

Also tried doing it the other way before same result

Hi,
Sorry to but in, but, you could try uninstalling it is "Device Manager" and let windows reinstall on a reboot.

Hi,
Sorry to but in, but,.

anytime is ok by me ,you know that

Hi,
Sorry to but in, but, you could try uninstalling it is "Device Manager" and let windows reinstall on a reboot.

I all ready tried uninstalling the hole of windows so is it worth trying that?

Hi,
Sorry, you have tried or have you uninstalled Windows and reinstalled with the same result.
If you have reinstalled since this problem started, then it is not worth trying. It would mean that you have a hardware that can not communicate with windows but can with other programs.
Is it an on-board Ethernet or a separate card?
Is your new computer, built or branded?

The problem seems to be that the Operating System cannot communicate with the hardware. We know that the hardware is fine because UBuntu can communicate with it.

I would suggest re-installing the Ethernet LAN drivers.

Go to the link of your motherboard you suggest in the previous post.

Click on Drivers in the right-hand side menu.

Download the LAN drivers and install it. It should install over your current driver. If not, uninstall the current Ethernet driver from Device Manager and then install the driver you downloaded.

It might also be worth it to download the Chipset driver and install that if that above doesn't work.

Let us know if that helped or not.

I have tried all of that all ready still the same thing happens. i even tried to find older versions of the driver and got the same results

go tp computer store and buy a pci network can and install it ,and siable the onboard one in device manager

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.