Please can someone help me to stop a programe from running at startup. Farstone instant burning (part of Virtual Drive pro 11) loads on start up and clicking on the instant burning window causes an error message to appear that says DCTryShl_Rc.dll has caused an error and needs to be shut down. I have contacted Farstone support and they have been unable to help. I do not want to uninstall Virtual drive pro but just disable Instant burning that causes DCTryShl_Rc.dll to load. Renaming DCTryShl_Rc.dll does stop it from loading but produces another error message on start up that is equaly annoying that DCTryShl_Rc.dll could not be loaded. I have looked into the windows start up folder and there is nothing to disable there. Do I have to alter the registry or do something else?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Chris

Running XP SP3

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you could try startup lite and see if it picks it up and you then check of to disable it on startup'
http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

or if that doesn't work get hijackthis and install and run it and save log and copy past it here and i will tell you what to check off and to disable it.do not check off any thing in hijackjack until it see the log if you decide to use it ,
http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html
http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

Thank you for suggesting this programe. I will try it out. Previously I could not find this start up item in msconfig but I will try again. Otherwise I will use the Hijack This log as you have suggested.

Kind Regards
Chris

Thanks. I tried Start Up Lite and it could not find the process. I am attaching the Hijack This log as suggested. I had to change the extension to txt as log files could not be attached. I don't know which process loads DCTryShl_Rc.dll associated with Virtual Drive instant Burning.

Kind Regards
Chris

first 2 i would try are these 2 ,
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDCTray] C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Nicola\My Documents\Downloaded Files 3\Downloaded Farstone Programmes\05091518\Files\DVDCreator\DVDCTrayIconShl.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirtualDrive] "C:\Program Files\FarStone\VirtualDrive\VDTask.exe" /AutoRestore

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirtualDrive] "C:\Program Files\FarStone\VirtualDrive\VDTask.exe" /AutoRestore

run hijack and put a check by it and fix and reboot and see what happens

Thanks capertjack, just the first item was the problem. I stopped it from loading with Hijack this and rebooted and the tray icon and the error message has stopped.

On examining the matter further "Run" was pointing to a file in the wrong location. DVDCTrayIconShl.exe was in the downloaded location of the folder in My Documents containing the set up file. DVDCTrayIconShl.exe should have been running from another location in Programme Files/Farstone to work properly. Maybe that's what caused the clash or there could have been two instances of it running. Anyway I don't really need it.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards
Chris

Thanks again.

Kind Regards
Chris

your welcome

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.