I am unable to save to my "F" drive recently. When ever I try to save to it I get a message saying "Windows protection error can not create directory or save file"

Thank you for your help

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

Are you able to save to any other devices?

You might have the Windows File Protection problem that I have seen in the past. We downloaded a utility from Microsoft to clean up the problem... unfortunately I do not have it here with me, but it went through the system and cleaned up a bunch of issues.

Christian

I can save to other devices.

Hi,

Perhaps it is time to run some tests on F: I am guessing you are Win 2K or XP. Open up the Disk utillities, and run a checkdisk on the system. See if finds problems. I am also wondering if you have NTFS on F and if the permissions there got messed up.

Christian

I am using Windows 98. I ran the scan disk on F drive and found no errors. What is NTFS?
Carol

I solved my problem. I went to the FAQs at the manufacturer of the flash drive and was told to create a new folder in the flash drive. Now I can save to the new folder.

Hello,

NTFS is what Windows 2000 and XP use as a file system. It has more security options than FAT32. NTFS is also very common, many consnider it essential, for file servers.

You did not mention F: being a thumbdrive... I was under the assumption it was a partition on your hard drive. KNowing what F was now, I would have had you take a different approach.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.