My desktop computer is running Windows XP and my laptop is running Windows 7. I went through my desktop and created a network disc (on a jump drive). When I initially run this on the laptop, it sees the desktop, lets me access everything on the desktop that I need to, etc. However, once the laptop is turned off, the next time I have to go through the process all over again. I even saved the file on the laptop thinking that I could just run it from there, but it doesn't work. I have to go back to the desktop and go through the whole thing all over again for it to work properly. It will connect to the internet just fine, but refuses to connect to the desktop or printer without going through it all again.

I'm figuring that some setting isn't correct on the laptop, but don't know what that would be. (This is my first experience with Win7. Any advice would be GREAT!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you gone through the security settings on the win 7 machine. allow file sharing ect. Go here on your computer running win 7:Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings. Try changing the settings to what you want to happen, usually a good idea to reboot after.

aggreed and in the security settings make sure that password usage is shared as well. I have also found it helps to (if possible) use the same user ID on both machines! I know it should n't make a difference but it does!
Also worth checking that the firewalls are allowing the local network to have access to each other.
M

Spot on mjdodd. Do all this and you should be networked.

I thought I had checked all of the firewall settings. Seems that I missed one thing on the laptop. It's working...at least for the time being. :)

Thanks for all the help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.