I have a SD card with Files that got changed somehow from MP4 to JPEG...I have tried altering the suffix and it seems like they wont play.

Does anyone know of any FREE program or way to correct this so I dont lose my movies?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

1) on VISTA, how could these files have got changed from MP4 to JPEG..I at NO point was I asked a ? to convert?

2) Is there a way to reverse what happened?

The program you mention, will that extract the MP4 or convert the JPEG back to the original MP4 or are these just corrupted and lost. As mentioned, I would know how to ammend the suffix on the file extensions, but that will not do the trick as the movies will not play?

1)

2) Is there a way to reverse what happened?

i have know way of knowing the answer to most of your ?,I don't know what happend
all i can say is i provided a free converter program for you to at least try converting one of the files back to mp4 format !

You have been GREAT in responding I THANK you...I use the site to LEARN things. The program you mention is great..Problem being for this particular case there is NO OPTION to convert JPEG to MP4 that I can see. I do have a tendancy to jump the gun but I did not see anything there...I dont know that there is a way to turn these files back and I dont know why they changed..I am most grateful to you for all the assistance you have given on this site..At times problems like this are difficult to resolve via on line.

you try going to www.zamzar.com a free online file conversion its very easy to use.

IT looks good BUT how could they e mail the files back...these type of files can not be e mailed, I did not try it but I know MP4 cant be e mailed?

You have been GREAT in responding I THANK you...I use the site to LEARN things. The program you mention is great..Problem being for this particular case there is NO OPTION to convert JPEG to MP4 that I can see. I do have a tendancy to jump the gun but I did not see anything there...I dont know that there is a way to turn these files back and I dont know why they changed..I am most grateful to you for all the assistance you have given on this site..At times problems like this are difficult to resolve via on line.

i do apologize,you are correct there is no jpg to mp4 converter ,sorry .

did you try looking at the sd card in disk management ,and see if you can run a chkdsk on it .
you can find disk management in control panel/admin tools

what do i look for in there> ?

small question did the files get changed to jpeg or mjpeg? Later---

jpeg

then it won't happen until you recover the mp4 movie file intact. a jpeg file is a single frame photo type file with no video data probably a single frame saved from your vid clip. If you saved the card contents to your drive and had clear card checked then you will have to run a file recovery app on the card then resave the files as MP4 on your drive with the proper video editor. Later---

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.