Hi
While in Display Properties, for Win XP service pack 3.
I accidently clicked a wrong drop down box and changed display.
Problem is it created a black screen back drop.
Desktop is black and any window that is opened apart from icons.
And right click to bring up display properties is simply masked out by the black screen therefore I am unable to change display back.
Please help
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

hi, try hitting f8 on bootup and go into safe mode and see if you fix it

Hi
Tried safe mode, last known good config etc but still desktop icons on black screen.
Therefore can't get back to Display Properties to change sttings as right click and detail in pop up windows is blacked out apart from framework.
Need default to Display Properties windows and buttons or keyboard short cut.
thanks

hi, try hitting f8 on bootup and go into safe mode and see if you fix it

Hi
Tried safe mode and last known good config, still desktop icons on black screen unable to navigate through as pop windows detail black out also.
Need a default back to original display property settings or key boardshort cut for the same.
thanks

try a system restore back to before you made the setting change
start/all Programs/accessories/system tools /system restore ,pick a date before the change

Hi
Cannot navigate through system due to black screen creating lack of definition. When menue bar buttons are clicked the pop up window is black, no detail, all that is seen on the black desktop is desktop icons and applications, but when they are opened the pop up window is black with grid lines but no definition.
Need to set the display to default or the same with keyboard short cuts.
I may have accidently selected and clicked the wrong style from the Display Properties, Windows an Buttons as the PC was fine previously.
Thanks

i don't know of any keyboard shortcuts for that ,maybe in the bios /setup you ,some thing like setting it to vga mode .

hi Thanks
Tried VGA mode in safe mode no result.
thanks

now this is just my way of trouble shooting ,as i am comfortable with searching for and downloading and reinstalling driver and what not .
i would go to device manager and uninstall video device ,reboot and see what happens ,you will likely need to reinstall drivers ,make note of video device when in device manager if you try this .

Hi
Unfortunately I have a black screen, I cannot navigate using mouse as when I click on an icon or button the pop up window is blacked out.
thanks

Hi
Unfortunately I have a black screen, I cannot navigate using mouse as when I click on an icon or button the pop up window is blacked out.
thanks

cant imagine what you must have clicked on to cause that ,amybe someone who knows more about what you might have done will see your post or its time to take to computer shop for a hands on look by a comp tech .good luck

I can only think that you for some reason changed your desktop, application backgrounds and fonts to black. You can do that on that page in DP.
Okay....
-drag your mouse down to the bottom left [yeah, I know you cannot see it, or the following...], then lclick once. Now...
-type r
-enter desk.cpl
-press ctrl-tab 3 times
-press the left direction key once
-press Alt-a
-after 5secs, press Enter.
Anything happen? If not, do it again from the start but press instead the right direction key once.

OR.. using a more definite actions control:
-press the Windows key
-type r
-enter desk.cpl ,2 [note that space before the comma!!!]
-press Alt-a

HI
Thanks for all your time on the post.
Navigated by keyboard through system to Display Properties to default.
Thanks

I can only think that you for some reason changed your desktop, application backgrounds and fonts to black. You can do that on that page in DP.
Okay....
-drag your mouse down to the bottom left [yeah, I know you cannot see it, or the following...], then lclick once. Now...
-type r
-enter desk.cpl
-press ctrl-tab 3 times
-press Alt-a
Anything happen? If not, do it again from the start but press instead the right direction key once.

OR.. using a more definite actions control:
-press the Windows key
-type r
-enter desk.cpl ,2 [note that space before the comma!!!]
-press Alt-a

Thanks Gerbil
The latter instruction worked like a dream, your time was much appreciated.
Zantac

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.