Hi everyone,

I'm using an old, banged-up, Asus A6000 notebook which I want to format and then re-install WinXP on (I only have 384MB RAM)...

The thing is, a few days ago my brother smashed my laptop on the floor and although, surprisingly, it still works, its TFT screen is definitly beyond repair, so I'm using an external TFT screen. Its keyboard and touchpad are also malfunctioning so I hooked it up to an external keyboard and mouse...

I haven't formatted it yet because I'm not sure how will my computer behave once I've formatted its hardrive and removed all its device drivers. Will it still be able to run the external devices? Even with all my device drivers backed up safely on a CD, ready to re-install, I still need at least a monitor and a keybaord to install them or even continue the installation of Windows...

Through my 16 years of life I've formatted and installed tens of Win98 OSs on decent PCs, but never once have I done this with WinXP on a laptop with only a CD drive, processor and RAM in working condition...

I'm desperate for help.

Cheers,
Dean

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The external keyboard and monitor will run fine on default Windows drivers, I doubt if all the touchpad functions will... once Setup is complete you can load chipset and other device drivers as per normal.
I see a cellar.. hazy light... wires, cables, bits of equipment balanced on books and propped against desk legs; a brother sagging into his bonds to the exposed plumbing. Please tell me you're wearing one of those old peaked eye-shades, and are using a Fresnel magnifier on the screen. A6000... is that the model with the crt monitor?
:)

The external keyboard and monitor will run fine on default Windows drivers, I doubt if all the touchpad functions will... once Setup is complete you can load chipset and other device drivers as per normal.
Crikey, it's only a mb you're worried about.. A6000... is that the model with the crt monitor?
:)

Yes, you'd hope Windows behaves itself and manages to cope with the default drivers :P

No promises though!

Tnks guys,

@Gerbil: Lol, you're half right about my desk and the junk on top of it - except for the fact that its located in the middle of my house's 2nd floor corridor (pfft, cellar... what gave you that idea?).

...and no, I'm not wearing any shades or fresno-what-did-u-call-it...
This is my desk (PC cemetery):
(left to right: my A6000, crt & keyboard for pentium 2, (out of the screen) opened up pentium 1 on top of a pentium2 tower...)

anyway, tnks for your replies...

Geez!! And you hope to do useful work like that??!! No eyeshade? A long-dead ciggie planted behind the ear will do...

LOL

Through my 16 years of life I've formatted and installed tens of Win98 OSs on decent PCs

if you can do that wixp will be child's' play to you,good luck

I believe you need to press fn + F4 to switch to external monitor as indicated on the notebook keyboard, some notebook may defer and as for the mouse and keyboard. That shouldn't be a problem.

16 year and tens of Win98 and you worry about Window XP? I am LOL!

tnks everyone...

@khahilang, that was actually one of my main concerns because since I'm using an external keyboard I don't have an Fn key...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.