Can anyone help me recover my desktop.
I keep getting the message:
Active desktop recovery/ Script error.

When I press the button marked
'Restore my Active desktop'

I get the following:

INTERNET EXPLORER SCRIPT ERROR
A error has occured in the script on this page.

Line : 65
Char: 1
Error: object does not support this action
Code: 0
URL: file///C:/Documents%20and%
20settings/George/application%20Data/Microsoft/Internet%
20Explorer/Desktop.htt

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page:?
Yes / No

Nothing I do seems to make any difference.
Is there a SIMPLE solution to this?

Regards

Renold

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

desktop.htt pretty much controls the size and position of your desktop and the wallpaper you have on it, plus it includes a little activeX control to allow you to reshape it..... IE7 is a little bit incompatible with the old profile you may have had already.
Since this file is automatically generated by windows, the best fix is to delete the old one[s] and let windows create a new one. To do this open an explorer window and go to tools > folder options > view, and uncheck hide protected opsys files. Apply and ok. Then do a search in your sys drive [usually c: ] for desktop.htt. It will be in Docs and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Delete them [it, whatever...]. Close the explorer window, rclick your desktop and click Refresh, and then go back and RECHECK that box. you really don't want those special files exposed all the time!!

Thanks for your response. How do I open an explorer window, please?

you can go to start->run type explorer then enter or you can try pressing windows key + "E".. or go to my computer, then double click on your local drive you want to explore.

I have followed your recommendation but to no avail.
Do you have any other suggestions?
thanks
Renold

try changing the background image. sometimes all that message means is your desktop has lost it's link to whatever image it was using. If you change it to a different background image that may very well fix it.

restrictions : this operation has been canceled due to restritions in effect on this computer

restrictions : this operation has been canceled due to restritions in effect on this computer

Unsure what this means
and I still have the problem.

Any other ideas anyone please.

What were you using as your background image prior to getting the error?

What were you using as your background image prior to getting the error?

I went back and removed the desktop.htt file as instructed, then chose a new desktop and restarted.
It appears to have worked, so I am now going to close the thread.

Thank you very much for your help and support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.