Drivivng me nuts!! Trying to go into my banking details, renew a domain name, renew my anti-virus and other similar areas I was getting diverted to a spy-ware search-page, so I ran AdAware and Spybot which removed this but now when I try to access banking info I get the message 'Page cannot be displayed'. Have tried jiggling the security settings to no good end. Also alarmingly I cannot activate Norton AV.
I am running on ME, cannot do a Restore prior to February as I had a second hard drive fitted end of Jan. But have just today de-fragged and so everything should be in order but it ain't!!:cry:
Help! Thanks - hopefully.
Tez

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Drivivng me nuts!! Trying to go into my banking details, renew a domain name, renew my anti-virus and other similar areas I was getting diverted to a spy-ware search-page, so I ran AdAware and Spybot which removed this but now when I try to access banking info I get the message 'Page cannot be displayed'. Have tried jiggling the security settings to no good end. Also alarmingly I cannot activate Norton AV.

Two things:

* Were your Spybot-S&D/Adaware files up-to-date? You may still have a hijacker or Trojan on your system that's newer than your datafiles could deal with.

* Did you note which malware was removed by the 2 programs? At least one piece of scumware (New.net comes to mind -- there may be others) trashes your network settings and often requires a repair after removal.

You might also try to download and run HijackThis. Note: read the instructions on the linked page very carefully (the main download link is broken -- use one of the mirrors). Do not actually remove anything from your startup or Registry until you have posted the log that it generates and are given explicit instructions on what to remove. You should also check out my Malware, virus, and startup information and tools page for more details.

Norton, resource hog that it is, is not much of a loss -- the free Grisoft AVG is better, anyway...

I am running on ME, cannot do a Restore prior to February as I had a second hard drive fitted end of Jan. But have just today de-fragged and so everything should be in order but it ain't!!:cry:
Help! Thanks - hopefully.
Tez

to activate NIS go to the NIS in your program files and point on NIS icon and it has options like product support, norton internet security, uninstall etc...
point at product support and that gives you two three options, of which one is norton internet security tutorial. it tells you how to activate different options to solve problems.
hope this helps.
i had the same problem of cannot display page error. now i have the NIS icon sitting on my strart up tray and that gives me peace, because everytime that NIS was not logged on, the error messages were coming up.
buzzer

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.