Hi,
Actually I am not familiar with Exchange server environment so i have a qn.
Can we convert ost file into pst using outlook inbuilt import/export option while disconnecting to Exchange Server. I mean If I am not connected to Exchange so i will be not able to read ost file. So at that point of time can i convert ost to pst to read the mails.
Thank you in advance

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You will be able to read, change or modify the mails using an .ost file.
It works with Outlook cached mode which is recommended in an enterprise network. I wonder why you can't read them.

Step 1.

Turn on Cached Exchange Mode

On the Tools menu, click E-Mail Accounts, click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
In the Outlook processes e-mail for these accounts in the following order list, click the Exchange Server e-mail account, and then click Change.
Under Microsoft Exchange Server, select the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box.
Exit and restart Microsoft Outlook.

By this way you can store a copy of your mail box in your machine.

Step 2
Connection Settings.

1. On the File menu, point to Cached Exchange Mode.
2. Download Full Items
Outlook downloads the header, body, and attachments of e-mail items at the same time. Use this option when you have a direct network connection with your main computer or when you are using a continuous dial-up connection.

Download public folders when using Cached Exchange Mode (Optional)

On the Tools menu, click E-mail accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, click Next, select the Exchange e-mail account, and then click Change.
Click More Settings, then click the Advanced tab.
Under Cached Exchange Mode Settings, select the Download Public Folder Favorites check box.

If you enable Exchange Cached Mode you will be able to download your mailbox locally to your system. But in situation when mailbox it relocated to new location the Exchange Cached Mode is not sufficient in order to access previous OST files.
To access previous mailbox OST files you need to convert OST to PST file and for that purpose you require an application.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.