How do you get rid of "mdnsNSP.dll" and "mDNSResponder.exe"?

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Perhaps if you had mentioned that in your first post.....

We will need to know what you have tried exactly and what results you got.

right. i'm sorry. bonjour (probably installed thru OuickTime) was decently placed in my add/remove programs. however when i "removed" it, "mdnsNSP.dll" and "mDNSResponder.exe" stayed and could not be removed manually. i use "BoostSpeed" by Auslogics and it has an "unlock" service. "mDNSResponder.exe" was unlocked and i deleted it. but "mdnsNSP.dll" stayed. i asked help from Auslogics.they said "'svchost.exe' is a Windows services host application, it simply cannot be terminated" and wishing me luck, advised me to check this url: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/02/10/how-to-uninstall-or-remove-bonjour-mdnsresponderexe/
at my first try it didn't work because i had already deleted "mDNSResponder.exe". so i reinstalled bonjour then removed it, two pesty files naturally keeping residence. but when i tried to run "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" - remove, the "run" window kept evaporating after i clicked OK.
then i looked for the the magic "Au Revoir Bonjour" but it was not to be found anywhere in web - with the exception of a french blog. but then it was only a trap for a trojan.
it's not that i'm suspicious about those two files. I just hate apple to force them down my throat. if i don't want them on my computer (even if they're for my own good), i think i must have a right to remove them.
this is the full story. thanks for you patience.

I completely understand what you mean! I hate software like that too. Have you tried running HiJackThis on your system and using that to attempt to remove the files?

I completely understand what you mean! I hate software like that too. Have you tried running HiJackThis on your system and using that to attempt to remove the files?

I made a scan with HijackThis and also checked the misc processes but couldn't find a trace.

Are you able to see and stop them with msconfig?

Are you able to see and stop them with msconfig?

There's only QTTask from Apple in the "start up"; in "services" some are "stopped" but can't make anything of them.

I'm at a bit of a loss then I'm afraid, sorry!

I'm at a bit of a loss then I'm afraid, sorry!

thank you all the same for your kind interest. i will not let this matter stay as it is and will try to find a solution on web. If the only solution is reformatting my computer, i will consider sueing master jobs.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

Were you able to rename mdnsNSP.dll?

Did you try this?

Gizmo Project has created a small tool TurnOffBonjour.exe that turns off and removes Bonjour service. However, it will not remove the Bonjour folder from Program Files. You will still need to manually delete the Bonjour folder after restart. The reason why you’re advised to delete the folder after restart is in case there’s a problem, the Bonjour files are still there for you to restore.

PP:)

apples i-tunes installes and uses those files ,do you have and use i-tunes

Had an idea. Will windows allow you to rename the 2 files and add .old at the end of each? If so, you should be able to delete them after a reboot.

Had an idea. Will windows allow you to rename the 2 files and add .old at the end of each? If so, you should be able to delete them after a reboot.

Yes, indeed! I was dumb enough not to try this after " 'C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe' - remove" command failed. I didn't have to change "mDNSResponder.exe" before deleting because it was not was locked yet this time.But I could change "mdnsNSp.dll" to "mdnsMSP.old" just like that and reboot and they were gone when I deleted them. It seems I created "much ado about nothing".
Thanks a lot, you saved me from suing expenses. :))

apples i-tunes installes and uses those files ,do you have and use i-tunes

no i never used itunes. sse my reply to Rik below. Thanks a lot.

Did you try this?

PP:)

you can see from my answer below to Rik that I should have tried that. thanks a lot.
by the way. Gizmo application is not active anymore.

Glad I could help, I knew there was a way to delete them it just took a while to remember it as this flu I am suffering fom has really messed me up!

you can see from my answer below to Rik that I should have tried that. thanks a lot.
by the way. Gizmo application is not active anymore.

I've been posting in forums long enough not to assume anything not explicitly stated. I saw that you should have tried it - didn't know if you did. :)

Sorry.

BTW - That link is still good for TurnOffBonjour.

Also

Glad I could help, I knew there was a way to delete them it just took a while to remember it as this flu I am suffering fom has really messed me up!

i just found out that mdnsresponder.exe is residing in "windows prefetch" as "MDNSRESPONDER.EXE-02F30C6F.pf". i don't have knowledge enough to tamper with with system files. What would you advise?

Rename it, reboot, and see if it causes any problems. If you do get any problems, restore it's name!

ccleaner will clean temp folders and the prefetch folder

i just found out that mdnsresponder.exe is residing in "windows prefetch" as "MDNSRESPONDER.EXE-02F30C6F.pf". i don't have knowledge enough to tamper with with system files. What would you advise?

If you now do not have the actual program on your machine and you never plan to use it again, there is no reason to have (portions of) it in prefetch.

Delete it.

Or, leave it alone. Eventually Windows ought to remove automatically it due to lack of use.

If you now do not have the actual program on your machine and you never plan to use it again, there is no reason to have (portions of) it in prefetch.

Delete it.

Or, leave it alone. Eventually Windows ought to remove automatically it due to lack of use.

since waiting for windows to remove it automatically sounded more like wishful thinking i deleted it. nothing has gone wrong with my computer since. thanks to you and all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.