Hi,
I am under a ethernet router, which in turn has a static ip and my pc's ip is 192.168.1.221 and external ip is as usuall of the router, but now i want to host a site from my home on my pc, how can i configure it to work, well security is not a matter for me, as i am not gonna put it up forever,
can any member or the admin here help me out plz :?:
protforwarding how? daemon whats that?
what should i do?

My OS is Windows XP pro SP2, and i am gonna use IIS
:o

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The first thing that you would need to do is forward port 80 (on your router) to your computer.

This can be done many different ways depending on what kind of router you are using, here is an example from netgears knowledgebase:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp

Basically, you would need to specify the port (80 for web, 443 for secure web) Then the destination ip address (your local 192.x.x.x address). Once this is complete, you should be able to browse to your external ip address (which you can find at www.whatismyip.com) and view the website on your local workstation.

If you are wanting to use this from multiple locations, there are several Dynamic hostname providers that you can use to get a domain to use on the internet (instead of your ip address).

The one I personally use is:
http://FreeDNS.afraid.org

There are many others out there, and just let us know if you need any additional help.

* Note: Before we will really be able to help, we will need to know what kind of router you are using etc.

* Note: Before we will really be able to help, we will need to know what kind of router you are using etc.

Well the kind of router i use i myself dont know its make, i have access to it, so actually i will put a screenshot of the routers, page,
once i know the exact way, i can ask the administrator to do it for me, but i need to know how to do it first ;)
this is the screenshot i jst uploaded it chek it out
thnx regards "James"

It appears the option you would be looking for would be found under the 'Static Routes' option. From here it should provide a place to enter the port (80) and the internal ip (of the workstation you wish to use).

It appears the option you would be looking for would be found under the 'Static Routes' option. From here it should provide a place to enter the port (80) and the internal ip (of the workstation you wish to use).

Me Acitsym here,

ok thanx, i will give u a rough idea on what options are available in the static routes option they are
first i clik on "create new ipv4 route"
and a new page with these options come up
1st= destination
2nd=Gateway
3rd=mask
4th=metric
Now what do i do?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.