I did a fresh installation of Window server 2003 with 2 Networkcards on the server. A static addresss was placed on one card 192.168.110.x and the Gateway but the second was given a 192.168.2.X which is configured on DHCP and directly connected to a switch.
The issue is that the client get a dynamic IP and can ping 192.168.x but not 192.168.110.x and can not connect to the internet.
Any idea about further configuration on the server would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Prince Damson

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Remove the gateway IP address from the card that is not using DHCP. There can only be one gateway to the internet. Here is the data from my ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::543d:fc8a:dc8c:be5d%20
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c5af:a780:ec0f:e2fe%10
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Thanks for your response.Meanwhile I configured LAN 1 based on one Gateway. but the issue is that I can ping from the client to LAN 2 but not to LAN 1.

LAN adapter 1 connection
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.115.190
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.115.249
DNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :127.0.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:with DHCP

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
DNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :127.0.0.1

Are you pinging the IP address of the host name?

Can you ping the gateway OK and and you ping each of the cards IP addresses?

Is Windows firewall turned on because it may not be letting the pings through.

I can not ping the Hostname but I can ping from client to the NIC2 (on the Server) but to the NIC1(on the server) which is connected to the external. I have deactivated the firewall nevertheless i can not connect to the internet.

Ok why do you have the DNS set to 127.0.0.1 and can you ping an IP address on the internet. Try pinging 4.2.2.2 which is a public name server that you can also set as your DNS.

Ok why do you have the DNS set to 127.0.0.1 and can you ping an IP address on the internet. Try pinging 4.2.2.2 which is a public name server that you can also set as your DNS.

Hey rch1231,

Nice information to have didn't know the public dns server had such an easy address to remember, thx!

I have removed the NICs 2 from the motherboard. So i have only only one NIC

Now as you have removed NICard 2 from the motherboard. Check the status of connectivity between the server and the client machine and try pinging eachother.
try pinging the Default gateway and also try netsh winsock reset.
If still not able to connect then look for the DNS address.

Thanks.
I can ping the Gateway and the Server but I can not browse the internet.
I will try netsh winsock reset

I tried netsh winsock reset but client can not connect to internet. but can only ping the Gateway
Thank in advance

I tried netsh winsock reset and i can still not connect the client. I can ping Gateway and Server but cannot connect to the internet.
Suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot

Hello,
I tried netsh winsock reset and it did not access the internet.
If anybody has other ideas that could point out the problem
Client can ping the Gateway and server

Have you checked the dns using nslookup? Before reset anything? Do you have an idea to which dns server you are connected to or whether it is functioning? How can you browse internet with loopback ip for dns? Remove that IP and add the DNS address in the router or a public dns which you have received from the ISP :D

Finally: This is for e'one...
Looks like you are using 2 subnets.As I stated earlier, you have to set the actual internal dns. Setting up a dns is easy. To use 2 network cards with different sub nets, you have to use an RRAS server to do the routing between 2 subnets. You have to check your TCP/IP advanced settings to make sure your settings do not have 2 IP addresses listed. If it is there you have to remove it. If you are truly intend to use 2 subnets, make sure your RRAS doing the DHCP relay agent role!
Thanks!

Thank for your comment
I have removed the second network card on the network, when it did not work. Now I have only one network card. The server can browse the internet but the client not. I can ping the server.And the server respons and also the server was setup at home and I only have a Gateway and nothing else from the ISP?
Further ideas would be apprciated. I am quite new in this area.

hi
Can you post the IP address assignment for both the client and the server? Is it a domain controller? If not you may be able to manually enable internet connection sharing (Type services.msc in "Run" and hit enter). Make sure your DNS server is available to the client as well.

Thanks so much to everyone out there. Your contributions have been greatly helpful.
The problem was with the Gateway. It has been resolved now so the client can connect to the internet.
Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.