As Administrator if I make a registry change in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop/WaitToKillAppTimeout, will that change be reflected to all accounts on the PC or do I need to make the same change to all of the user accounts?

I am running XP Pro SP2.

My goal is to speed up the shutdown time which currently takes a couple of minutes.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Yes, all accounts will be affected

I know it's been a while since I posted this question but what can I say; I'm a busy guy. I rechecked all of the changes I made for the administrator account vs the user account and all of the registry changes I made did get passed onto the user account except for the above entry in the OP. I changed that value (20000) to the same as the administrator account (1000). Shutdowns are a little faster now although I think that I may just end up reinstalling XP with SP2 and a few key updates.

Good luck to you. You can always come back to daniweb if you have any other problems.

I'm sorry, i must correct a post here. A change to such a HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive key entry will only affect that particular user profile, whether an Admin or not. HKLM keys may be subordinated/replaced by HKCU keys/values if the latter exist. HKCU keys/values are loaded from the particular hive of that user [subject to policies in HKCU, and they in turn over-ridden by HKLM policies] and contain his settings and profile.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.