When I login to Windows XP(home edition) under my name all of my desktop icons are missing and there is no task bar or start menu - only the wallpaper background. I can only hit (Ctrl Alt Del) to access the task manager, but nothing is listed. I tried running explorer from there and the icons just flash on for a second and disappear again. I've hit ever key on the keyboard...nothing happens.

The weird thing is if I login under the other username the icons appear but I can't get to the files I need for work. Switching the user doesn't do anything. What could have happened? Any suggestions on fixing the problem? This is a Compaq 2195US laptop if that matters.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

I ran Norton Anti-Virus and it didn't find anything.

It's possibly a virus that has outsmarted your antivirus software, or accidental changing of system settings.there is a setting from right clicking on the desktop that hides your icons, the taskbar could be hidden on any of the 4 sides or maybe gone. Try hitting the Windows button on your keyboard & see if the start menu comes up. If so you can access everything.

I have EXACTLY the same probelm. I was getting ready to shut down WIN XP (SP1) and the desktop gave jerk and then everything on the Desktop disappeared. All that is left is the background picture. Right clicking doesn't work as the mouse won't respnd when right clicking on the Desktop. I have tried System Restore (from Task Manager), no good. I tried System Repair from CD and it claims it can't see a hard drive. If the computer will boot and I can see everything from Task Manager obviously there is a hard drive. I heard that there maybe a problem with a bad user profile. I have Norton (updated) and a spyware program running all the time and checked the computer last week for spyware. Got any ideas?

I have EXACTLY the same probelm. I was getting ready to shut down WIN XP (SP1) and the desktop gave jerk and then everything on the Desktop disappeared. All that is left is the background picture. Right clicking doesn't work as the mouse won't respnd when right clicking on the Desktop. I have tried System Restore (from Task Manager), no good. I tried System Repair from CD and it claims it can't see a hard drive. If the computer will boot and I can see everything from Task Manager obviously there is a hard drive. I heard that there maybe a problem with a bad user profile. I have Norton (updated) and a spyware program running all the time and checked the computer last week for spyware. Got any ideas?

I'd try uninstalling Norton & go to www.free-av.com & download the free antivirus & see what it finds. if you have to create another user to get things working right, that is fine.

if you are getting this issue,and have sbcglobal software,try going into task manager,and go file>new task>msconfig>and uncheck ipmon32 in start up,if that fails to work,system restore. :)

if you are getting this issue,and have sbcglobal software,try going into task manager,and go file>new task>msconfig>and uncheck ipmon32 in start up,if that fails to work,system restore. :)

wow, impressive man. I had this problem recently when installed sbcyahoo software to check my friend's dsl modem with my laptop. When I got home and booted my laptop again it was giving me the BSOD. I was trying to check BIOS, drivers, etc in SAFE mode but nothing untill I found your solution.
Excellent, thank you very much. Disabling those things you mentioned made my laptop come to life again.

Welcome to the site :)

Please feel free to stick around!

my friend had a problem where he couldn't see the task bar he thought it had something to do the with windows media player in tha little taskbar so he removed WMP and it fixed it

I'd try uninstalling Norton & go to www.free-av.com & download the free antivirus & see what it finds. if you have to create another user to get things working right, that is fine.

I too was having the problem of my icons and task bar not showing up. When starting up I would see the icons and task bar for only a few moments, while I saw them I quickly hit my Mozilla Firefox quick link in the taskbar and the program was still able to run although everything on the desktop disappeared. I googled my problem and I eventually came to your message and tried the Avira antivirus that your link went to and it found about 10 different trojan horses. After using the Avira, the icons and taskbar came back to life after a reboot. I then updated my Spybot S&D and it cleared out a multitude of registry keys and viruses including some of the trojans the Avira found. Do you suggest anything better to use than Spybot S&D to actually remove the viruses? It doesn't seem like delete function on the prompts that Avira brings up actually removed any of the viruses, that it just puts them on pause.

press cntrl+alt+del
then end process explorer.exe, and add it again, if it doesnt work download explorer.exe and replace it!

I have a 2005 HP that has lost all the desktop icons. I am not real good with fixing things. I tried to right click. Nothing. I ran Norton and other spyware. Nothing. All I have is the background. I cannot even shrink it to look behind it. Please help me. I really need to get to my files and other things. Thanks!!

It was a fluke that I managed to get online this time. I am afraid to log off for fear I will not get back on to see replies.

I had the same problem, the mal-mare, virus or w/e it was took over my computer. It disabled my internet security program, deleted some of my personal files, changed some of the path's of the icons on my desktop to launch attacks when I clicked on them, it corrupted my entire system.

How did I fix it?

Backed up only my most important data and reformatted.

Good luck

thanx a lot bro ................

I ran Norton Anti-Virus and it didn't find anything.

Well to start you should, restart your PC or actually full reboot. When your PC start again if the icons are still missing, check on your desktop if there's something call desktop (Yellow Folder) inside this folder you should see all your icons.

If not then you proceed to run whatever antivirus software you might have.

I hope this helps

Did you install any program or application before you started to have this problem?

Just boot your computer in safe mode and see if you are able to
access the desktop .And then uninstall the program or application.

Even after that ,the problem doesnot resolve, then use system restore.

I would 1st recommend to run anti-virus on the computer after
booting them in safe mode.

When I login to Windows XP(home edition) under my name all of my desktop icons are missing and there is no task bar or start menu - only the wallpaper background. I can only hit (Ctrl Alt Del) to access the task manager, but nothing is listed.

When I login to Windows XP(home edition) under my name all of my desktop icons are missing and there is no task bar or start menu - only the wallpaper background. I can only hit (Ctrl Alt Del) to access the task manager, but nothing is listed.

HI,
You have hijacked a thread that is very old (May), please open your own thread with more information about your PC and someone here will try and assist you OK

HI,
You have hijacked a thread that is very old (May), please open your own thread with more information about your PC and someone here will try and assist you OK

What you are talking about ?

Hi,
I was replying to this post by Rafael Carrion, telling him he had jumped on your thread and that he should post on his own thread, and when he does, to supply more information about his PC and his problem not to just copy yours and repost it.

Hi,
I was replying to this post by Rafael Carrion, telling him he had jumped on your thread and that he should post on his own thread, and when he does, to supply more information about his PC and his problem not to just copy yours and repost it.

Sorry dude:-)

i dont find desktop and start menu after booting windows.and also not right clicking....and not task manager after using alt+ctrl+del...
and not running in safe mood..i want to run without losing my data

Ctrl-Shift-Esc should always give you TM. Ctrl-Alt-Del may, depending upon your settings for login.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.