Hi, I installed MikTex basic version into my C:\Program Files folder. I made a very basic tex file named flux.tex, kept it in Desktop and ran latex flux.tex from the command prompt. It was supposed to create a file flux.dvi in Desktop, but instead I got the message I can't find file flux.tex. Then I did some Googling, and as per the suggestions in one of the forums, I went to the C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.8\miktex\bin folder which contains the latex.exe executable, created a shortcut from there to Desktop, and then tried the same thing from command prompt. Same result. Then according to another suggestion, I just dragged the flux.tex file in Desktop onto the latex.exe shortcut, and this time I got a more detailed error message, suggesting that something must have occurred, but the final line of the message was the same- I can't find file flux.tex. However, now I found that three files - flux.aux, flux.log and flux.dvi are created in the bin folder (not in Desktop, where they are supposed to be, since the tex file resides and is run from there). On inspection, however, I found that the dvi file is completely empty. The log file reiterates the same message as the one on the latex.exe command prompt (which appears once I drag the tex file into the shortcut, or run latex flux.tex from command prompt)- that I can't find file flux.aux,I can't find file flux.tex, although like I said, the flux.aux file does appear in the bin folder once I drag the tex file into the shortcut. I am at my wit's end. How can I get the compiled dvi file???

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

are you running winxp sp3, first let me said i never heard of the program ,so i goggled it ,did you check there troubleshooting info found here ,the source of a program is usually the best place to find help from people who use said program good luck .
http://www.miktex.org/bugs

also found this FAQ, for first time users ,
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tutorials*

No no, I am running it on Windows XP. Yeah I have looked into all those bugs-stuff. Some of them helped and enabled me upto where I am now, but now I am stuck.

No no, I am running it on Windows XP. Yeah I have looked into all those bugs-stuff. Some of them helped and enabled me upto where I am now, but now I am stuck.

ok, but you posted in the windows nt/2000/xp section of this forum ,the other 2 os's are not supported by the program so i assumed you were using xp sp3 ,so what version of windows or what OS are you using

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.