For some time now whenever I click on control panel, it seems to open ok, but then when I select something windows explorer has a problem and has to restart. Then when I go back to control panel it works ok.

I've read about corrupt .cpl files in the windows/system32. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I double click on them all they all seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Ok, I'll do that. However, I'm always wary of registry cleaners that people recommend to me. Especially ones that tell me I have 1045 errors and now all I have to do is pay $50 to get a code to clean it all up.

Is this one of these?

I do use CCleaner quite often - isn't this supposed to do this anyway?

Yep, so it found 2,310 errors and asked me to purchase a code. Is this the only way to solve my control panel crashing explorer.exe ??

And if it doesn't will you reimburse me the money?!

Are you on sales commission?

Before I spend this money is there anyone else with any alternative suggestions. Sorry Sunnyrepairs - I just want to see before I potentially throw away cash like this.

I know thanks for your opinion - really. But I've been using CCleaner which is free and also gets good reviews and how can we be sure it's a registry problem.

Surely someone who knows can help me identify the problem and take me through regedit to make some changes. As I say, it's only when a control panel option is selected for the first time that it crashes. Then when I reopen control panel, everything is fine. Apart from that, no problems with speed or anything else. Is it really worth spending $30 on that?

Try to boot into safe mode using the following steps and check if the issue still persists:
1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again.
4. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to select the ‘Safe mode with networking’ option and press Enter.
5. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
6. When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of your monitor.
7. Log on to the computer.

Thanks kristain,

When I restarted in safe mode and loaded the control panel, explorer did not crash. So what does this mean?

Thanks

have you tried 'godmode' use of control panel , it works well!
M

ps use to google to find it and download and run.

Thanks, but does it solve the reason why my explorer.exe crashes whenever I use control panel? There must be a reason.

see if you can created a new user and see if it still crashes

go start ,double click your user icon to go to user settings ,it may crash as this is in the control panel .if it does try doing it in safe mode
your control panel dll file may be corrupt .you might try sfc /scannow to repair broken /corrupt system files .

==================
Here's How:
1.Open Command Prompt.

Important: You must run Command Prompt as an administrator in Windows 7 and Windows Vista to use System File Checker.
go to start type cmd into the search field ,right click the file that comes up and chose run as admin

2.Once Command Prompt is open, type the following command and then press Enter.

sfc /scannow3.System File Checker will now verify the integrity of every protected operating system file on your computer.

Note: In some situations, especially in Windows XP and Windows 2000, you may also need access to your original Windows installation CD or DVD.

4.Restart your computer if sfc /scannow did actually repair any files.

Note: System File Checker may or may not prompt you to restart but even if it doesn't, you should restart anyway.

5.Repeat whatever process caused your original problem to see if sfc /scannow corrected the issue.

Thanks for that caperjack. It told me that there were some files it could not fix. I rebooted and tried control panel and it crashed explorer as normal.

Any more suggestions? Why do I always have problems that no one can seem to fix??

did you try my first suggestion of creating a new user acct

======

Why do I always have problems that no one can seem to fix??

because you are unique,lol

Just created a new user (non admin) and shut down and logged in as new user. Explorer.exe still crashed when I selected an option in control panel. It crashes no matter which option I select.

Any ideas?

you could try totally removing IE and then downloading the latest version!
You could try using firefox or other browsers!
This is all sent in a spirit of fun not criticism but there are alternatives to Msoft and sometimes they work better!

lol
m

It's got nothing to do with my browser. That is internet explorer (IE). I'm talking about WINDOWS EXPLORER crashing.

I generally use firefox and chrome, just by the way!

I'd prefer help with my problem rather than advert selling your inferior sports clothing, thank you very much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.