Hey,
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I format my computer and install windows xp (before was installed windows 7). On windows 7 my sound card works with the driver provided by dell.com. Now, when i try to install the driver for my sound card (driver for windows xp from dell.com) it give's me an error:

ExitError:Error = This system does not support the driver you are attempting to install.

But I am convinced that the driver I try to install is the good one.
The soundcard is SigmaTel.

I mentioned that when I try to use Add hardware feature give's me no error abount the sound card, and in Device Manager the soundcard looks like it's installed but i don't have any Uninstall or Disable button there.
Please tell me how can I resolve this problem.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Best thing you can do is contact dell!

i can't contact dell :(. Any other solution for my problem?

no such word as Cant .

when you use your service tag to go to Dell driver download ,does it list drivers for winxp or just Vista and Win7 .
xp will install default/generic sound controllers ans codecs ,check my attachment

also download and use Speccy to show what devices you have in the laptop ,let it do it scan then go to file and publish snapshot and copy to clipboard and post the link here .if you want ,and maybe we could use that info to help find a winxp driver that will work
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

no such word as Cant .

when you use your service tag to go to Dell driver download ,does it list drivers for winxp or just Vista and Win7 .
xp will install default/generic sound controllers ans codecs ,check my attachment

also download and use Speccy to show what devices you have in the laptop ,let it do it scan then go to file and publish snapshot and copy to clipboard and post the link here .if you want ,and maybe we could use that info to help find a winxp driver that will work
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Speccy did not found any soundcard (as you can see in attachement). I'm sure that my soundcard works because i just reinstall windows 7 and works. After I reinstall win xp, the same problem. I also attach a snapshop with my device manager. What can I do?

a google search of the motherboard in you dell shows people try to do the same thing as you and scan they do show no sound device also .so as i said in my other post ,go to dell site and use you your service tag ,http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=hea no winxp drivers then you are out of luck or you need to find them somewhere else ,and i can find any as i don't even know what sound device you have..

also inwin7 what name is given to sound device win7 installed

a google search of the motherboard in you dell shows people try to do the same thing as you and scan they do show no sound device also .so as i said in my other post ,go to dell site and use you your service tag ,http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=hea no winxp drivers then you are out of luck or you need to find them somewhere else ,and i can find any as i don't even know what sound device you have..

also inwin7 what name is given to sound device win7 installed

so, i tryed again to install the driver provided by dell (i've searched them with my service tag) but did'nt work. I don't know what's the name given in win 7, but if nobody give's me any good solution I will reinstall win 7 soon. (on win 7 works with the driver provided by dell.com)

one more time i will try ??
when you use the service tag ,does it show drivers for winxp in the list of operating systems ,like my dell .see attachment
its really hard to direct you to drivers for a device we don't know the name and model,sorry

run Speecy again so i can see it all
after Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
Click Yes. A web address will be displayed.
Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post.

also just remembered this ,try running windows updates/custom setting and see if it has hardware driver updates

run Speecy again so i can see it all
after Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
Click Yes. A web address will be displayed.
Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yQOPAIXwkk1nH08P20JZ2kC here is the snapshot from speecy. when i'm searching dell.com for drivers using my service tag they provides me drivers for windows xp and windows vista as you can see in the picture attached, but the driver doesen't work

ok, did you install the recommended chipset drive first , then try the sound driver

XP was a pain on my dell 5150. I had to get the "HD Audio" hotfix from MS.

I try all your advices but did'nt work, so i install windows xp sp3 and works perfect with drivers provided by dell. so, windows xp sp2 seems to be the problem :-?.
Problem Solved!
Thanks

I try all your advices but did'nt work, so i install windows xp sp3 and works perfect with drivers provided by dell. so, windows xp sp2 seems to be the problem :-?.
Problem Solved!
Thanks

SP3 must of included that hotfix i mentioned.

SP3 must of included that hotfix i mentioned.

i try that hotfix on sp2 but did'nt worked. thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.