HI I am experiencing a problem with the system clock. Basically the laptop in question, an asus, had its battery removed a while ago. A few months ago, I noticed something was wrong with the clock. Everytime I unplug the adapter - when the laptop is off - the system clock default to 00:00 and the date to 2009. This seems to have implications with negotiating the connection and browsing websites (I get a certificate error quite often). ANyway, I can easily reset the clock in the bios and it works fine, untill, again, I disconect the adapter. On booting, there is a message coming up, something about a file missing.
What do you guys reckon this is due to? Not entirely sure how to fix it. It looks like when the power source is cut off the clock goes crazy, so I am thinking to put the battery backk even if it doesn't hold any charge, and try with that. Failing that, what dco you reckon I should do?
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

hi like tower computer ,laptops have whats called a bios battery in them ,its in under the bottom somewhere ,some are hard to get at some of the newer laptos are easy to get at ,either way it needs to be changed ,
whats the make and model # of the laptop ,maybe we can help point you in the right direction

Oh I see, the battery!! DIdn't think about it, I thought there was something wrong with some file missing. Ok it's a asus PRO61S
Thanks

no file missing ,the bios clock working is done before any operating system loads .
in the link below you can see the battery in the last picture on the right ,its the gold/yellow coloard cyrcle think on the right of the picture ,it also looks like the laptop has to be taken fully apart to get at it ,it need to be changed or you need to have a good laptop battery in the laptop all the time ,as long as there is power to the laptop the bios clock will keep its time .
http://repair4laptop.org/wiki/Free_Take_Apart_Guide_for_the_ASUS_Pro_61S_Laptop

ouch, that really is taking everything apart...considering the laptop isn't mine, I don't think I will feel confortable doing the job. I don't want to run the risk of finding myself with spare bits that I don't know where to put once I assembe it back...

yeah I use to be like that too, now I tackle a few every now and then ,most of the one I take totally apart were broken laptop that people didn't want and gave them to me,so iused them for practise , I use a plastic tray with small compartments ,maked as to what part of the laptop the screw/small part came from ,usuallt works out ox ,the worst theng you can do is brake a plastic part ,ouch!
I always watch on line videos for taking them apart .

cool, today I took apart an old laptop just to practice. It was ok actually, but it was a dell 1200 inspiron, I think this is easy to take apart and assemble again than a asus...

my first link is actuall a sort of tutorial[all be it not a good one ] on how to take it apart ,it gives instruction and makrkes some screws and whre to start taking it apart ,just remember if its seems hard to pry apart ,that usually means there is still a screw holding it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.