Have you guys heard of any new games for Vista? The 3 I have heard about are CRYSIS, SHADOWRUN and Halo2.

I have those previews here ( http://www.windows-vista-update.com/Windows_Vista_computer_games.html ) but I am wondering if there are any games that I

missed..

Mike
http://www.windows-vista-update.com

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I doubt that they are vista-only though. As with most games nowadays, they will work with 2000, me, and xp. Vista should be the same and therefore work with XP too.

It simply wouldnt make sense for them to release it vista-only as i suspect there are many people who wont upgrade to vista for a long time. (I know i wont :))

Although, if they are, I may just have to upgrade for Crysis. After the reviews of this, and also after Far Cry it should be AWESOME!

Actually, very few of the current games will run on vista as DirectX and GDI are having a huge shakeup

Crysis requires DX10. So im guessing it wont run on any other OS til' MS releases DX10 for XP and the like...

Well, halo 2 is only for vista, ms thinks that if they make a fun game available only for vista, then every body is going to be upgrading just to play that game, yeah... right.

Halo 2 only for Vista? You sure? I mean if they did that, there really won't be any sales of Halo2 and Vista. Not many ppl will upgrade to Vista immediately.

that's what they've said. i hate MS for that. why can't they just be nice. they did the same thing with halo 3, it'll only come out for xbox 360, bungie didn't want it that way, but hey, MS owns bungie, so they just want people to upgrade to the 360 and Vista. If MS didn't do those stupid things, and if they just gave out free copies of windows and charged people just for updates, then i would like them more.

free copies of windows? that would be terrible business strategy...

Halo 2 only for Vista? You sure? I mean if they did that, there really won't be any sales of Halo2 and Vista. Not many ppl will upgrade to Vista immediately.

I can confirm this, at least anecdotally. Halo 2 will require DirectX 10, and Microsoft has stated they have no plans to release DX10 for anything other than Vista...

My question is this: Does it actually require some feature of DX10, or is this just some arbitrary versioning trick, just to make us need Vista?

maybe there'll be a hack or something, most of the time there's a hack

My question is this: Does it actually require some feature of DX10, or is this just some arbitrary versioning trick, just to make us need Vista?

If it is a versioning trick, you can be sure not many ppl will lap it up immediately. It's gonna lead to sales slumping for both Vista and Halo2

If vista needs a 128mb gfx card to run does that mean that games which usually need a 128mb would require a 256?

well i think if your running a game, the whole card is dedicated to the game, if your just using the desktop, then the whole card is dedicated to the desktop, you know what i'm saying?

well i think if your running a game, the whole card is dedicated to the game, if your just using the desktop, then the whole card is dedicated to the desktop, you know what i'm saying?

That's the ticket-- when you're playing a game, the textures and models for the 3D GUI aren't actually loaded. It wouldn't make sense to devote so much memory to something that you wouldn't immediately be using, would it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.