I’m dealing with a small SSD, and a 1 terabyte HDD. My issue is half the programs you install these days don’t even bother asking you where you’d like to install. About 90% of them I’m fine having on the HDD. What on earth - if anything - can I do to move an entitled, SSD-privileged program to my HDD and how do I repair the ensuing errors it makes?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

For you to fix the errors would be specific to each app so there is no generic answer here other than to pester the app's author or company for better install options.

Here we don't allow at present less than 240GB SSD at the office because we have no reason to spend time on a 30 dollar drive replacement. That is, just last week we picked up the 240GB drive for 30USD and solved the low disk space issue. Now this does little for the poor soul that didn't know any better and bought one of those awful 32GB SSD laptops. My thought on those are these are how folk learn what doesn't work.

I also hate that. There is, however, and easy fix. Use two freeware programs:

jacquelin.potier.free.fr/ShortcutsSearchAndReplace/

http://melkov.narod.ru/misc/tools/regedt33/

Install your program normally then copy the folder to the desired location. Use the two freeware programs to find and replacce the old location with the new. Then you can remove the old folder. I've done this literally hundreds of times.

i tried that many times but failed and currpt my hdd

I know this has been out there a while, but ... Are you using the "typical" installation? Not everything allows it but if they do, always select "custom installation". This not only lets you choose location in most cases, but it can also give the option of skipping things you don't want like "bonusware", "web extensions unrelated to the software function", etc.

I'll put in a plug here for Unchecky. I put this on my Father-in-law's computer and it automatically unchecks any boxes for crapware that comes along with other installs. It's saved him from multiple Avast installs (among other things).

This will be a simple answer. But still ... did you download the latest drivers from the developer's site?

commented: Just plain wrong. -3
commented: In Russia, PC drives you! -3

No driver is going to make a difference as to where appliction programs are installed.

There was a similar problem, but unfortunately the disk had to be replaced, but it seems like there are good programs for this.

You can change the default location of Program Files.

Here's the Microsoft support for how to do it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/933700/microsoft-does-not-support-changing-the-location-of-the-program-files

As you can see, they don't recommend it, since it can potentially cause problems. Essentially:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
  3. In the details pane, right-click the ProgramFilesDir registry value, and then click Modify.
  4. In the Value data box, type the default location for the Program Files folder, and then click OK.
  5. Exit Registry Editor.

This helps us do things like maintain your language preferences across ... Even if you aren't signed in to a Google Account, you might choose to provide us with ... our servers

Yes, you are right that Programs don’t even ask where you’d like to install. Ensure that you choose the
'Custom' /'Advanced' setting in wizzard. However, if you have installed apps then you can move the
program folder to a different drive and put a link at the original location.

Normally programs ask where you want to install. But if you are not getting it there are 3rd pary tools that can be used to move installed files from one drive to another.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.