recently I got a CPU upgrade taking my Ryzen 3 3100x to Ryzen 5 5600x. So after I installed the CPU ran into thermal issues no problem added some thermal paste and boom my pc booted ,but it wasn't the same before I could run Elden ring on a smooth 50-60fps but when I tried to open elven ring (or any heavy game) and boom my pc would crash and reboot and turn back on. At first me and my friends thought it was because we forgot to update the CPU I updated it: no luck with that. We tried reinstalling the CPU. no luck with that. then I downloaded Ryzen master and my PPT (CPU socket power was going red) and my temp 40C. we thought it was the power supply but 600Watts should have been more than enough on my setup(setup at bottom). My friend told me to get a new motherboard as it may not be able to handle that much electricity through its circuit. and that's where I'm at I'm too scared to put a new motherboard at I've never built a PC from scratch but if I have to I will I just want to make sure that is the problem. please help I spent all my money on this. if you need any more info please let me know Setup: Invidia card: Geforce 1660xTi CPU: 6 core Ryzen 5 5600x 3.8 gghz (Wraith stock cooler) Motherboard: B450m Asrock 16G ram Power supply: Helios Ei-600g gold (600 wattage) 3 outtake fans 1 intake fan Windows 11 1TB NVMe SSD

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Have you tried updating your video card drivers? Perhaps check your RAM? Did you confirm the professor you upgraded to is compatible with your existing motherboard?

1. Turning red. "Nothing to see here, move along." Example prior: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ioiyjl/ryzen_master_cpu_power_turning_red_should_i_be/
  2. You omitted the motherboard make, model, revision and BIOS version.
  3. I always update the BIOS prior to a CPU change.
  4. After the CPU change we take the BIOS to defaults and work the settings. NO ONE CAN TELL YOU WHICH BIOS SETTINGS TO USE as there are too many variables such as if your motherboard, RAM and such may not support all possible settings. If you don't want to deal with this area, stick to defaults and if you suspect the defaults to be an issue you make a warranty or support claim to the motherboard maker.
  5. No mention of fresh heatsink compound. NEVER take a good temperature reading that this is not an issue.
  6. No mention if you are running the same install of the OS. Due to how Windows and drivers work today, you can't count on Windows to survive a CPU change.
  7. In spite of item 6 I have had success by updates of the BIOS, taking BIOS defaults then updates of the drivers for the system. NO "update driver" button or apps are used, ever since these are too unreliable. Updates are gathered from the maker then installed.
  8. Still crashing, make a warranty and support claim to the maker.
  9. Again, BIOS update: Example: https://www.quora.com/Does-a-B450M-DS3H-work-with-Ryzen-5-5600X You omitted the exact motherboard so you get back to the maker's website to check compatibility as well as get then install that BIOS update.
  10. Some fear BIOS updates. If so, take it to a shop to have it done.

Here are a couple of suggestions that I got.

1. The 5600x has a base clock of 3.7 GHz, since you stated that it is running at 3.8 GHz, I assume that you are overclocking? The stock cooler that shipped with the CPU can't handle that, so maybe you can reset the clock back to factory setting.
  2. The brand of your PSU seems unusual. Ratings aren't the same as quality, and it is probably failing to deliver enough power. The PSU is probably the most important component in your PC, so get a good one from well known brands like Corsair, EVGA; but still, check the reviews of the products first.
  3. Definitely update your BIOS to the latest version.
  4. Clean out all dust and grime in your pc.
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.