I love my taskbar but it's been frustrating having my icons all right next to eachother and some of them looking similar. I know i can change the icon file but what i'd prefer to do is create little seperator either black icons or more preferabally just spaces in between certain areas.

So i could have
<Program 1><Program 2><Program 3>[Space]<Weblink 1><Weblink 2><Weblink 3>[etc]

right now to do this i have
<Program 1><Program 2><Program 3><Dead Link><Weblink 1><Weblink 2><Weblink 3>etc...
anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? i can create failed shortcuts as seperators but i was wondering if anyone had ideas about how to have non-interactable ones.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

clarification. I was not thinking too clearly when i typed this.

I'm talking about the quick launch on the taskbar.
otherwise this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense

Welcome to Daniweb:)

You can simply close the Quick Launch bar if you dont want to see it.... (Right click Task bar and goto TOOLBARS and 'UNCHECK' quick launch)

I hope this is what your after :)

I'll repost from the beginning and try to be clear. I know how to turn off and turn on the quicklaunch on taskbar... this is what i'm trying to do...

I have quick launch enabled on my taskbar and find it much easier to do my work as an IT professional to have a majority of my icons on my quick launch instead of my desktop so i don't need to keep popping pages open and closed and minimizing throughout.

But i'd like to organize my icons in the quicklaunch in a more logical fashion.

Right now they are a jumble of icons ranging from intranet pages, internet pages, run prompt, cmd prompt, MSTSC, Run As..., our own internal programs and the like.

I'd like to be able to group these and have little spacers between certain sets. Like have run, cmd, and mstsc all together... then a gap of 1 icon. Then all my intranet pages... space... internet pages.... space... programs... space... etc

Now Right now i have created some dead link icons just to function as spaces between each set but it's horibally annoying to have them still be interactable and so if i accidently misclick, i get a new window popping open that goes nowhere.

What i'm trying to figure out is if there is someway to make an "icon" that is non-interactable and then i can just mach the icon properties to the color of my start bar so they're invisible. Or is there a way to actually have multiple quicklaunch bars so that i can drag and move each one around to wear i like on my start bar?

Any ideas or suggestions to acheive this are much appreciated. Thankyou for your time.

Hmmm,i wouldnt know how to arrange these... Maybe someone else does :)

A day and a half later and a day where 90% of people didn't show up to my work due to a snow day gave me just a little bit of free time...

Here's the solution
Quick launch is just basically gives you a view of the contents of a specific folder and you can edit each one so... i answered my own question earlier when saying is there a way to open multiple quick launches.

Sort your icons into seperate folders and then create a new toolbar to each folder where you have your items organized. Then all you need to do is customize each individual new toolbar to not show titles and stuff and you have it 3 or 4 or 10 different quick launches that all have your organized info but you can move each one around... creating a small space between each.

HA I solved it myself. Thank god for snow days. [link removed at author's request]

ok so i don't have a website to post the working picture... but it's really cool and it works i promise :lol:

thanks for all your help
enjoy your day

ok so i don't have a website to post the working picture... but it's really cool and it works i promise :lol:

thanks for all your help
enjoy your day

Or you could just use Objectdock which works alot better. It doesn't use much ram either.. Plus you can also drag files to the program that you want to use it on too. Among other things.

Remember to right-click. Right-clicking involves using the right mouse button to perform most taskbar customizing. Even the smallest changes usually occur through the right-click context menus.

Cool idea. I never thought about using the quicklauch taskbar that way.

I love QuickLaunch Bar Because its easy for me to use many applications

Nice idea about quicklaunch, thanks...

Sort your icons into seperate folders and then create a new toolbar to each folder where you have your items organized. Then all you need to do is customize each individual new toolbar to not show titles and stuff and you have it 3 or 4 or 10 different quick launches that all have your organized info but you can move each one around... creating a small space between each.

HA I solved it myself. Thank god for snow days. [link removed at author's request]

Seen this done before, works quite well. Personally prefer RocketDock (free little utility), as can add what I need and set to "auto hide" when not being used. But, what-ever works for you :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.