I just recently got my computer back from a tech center to help clean it out (it got a littled messed up) and now I am having a weird issue with trying to run IE or AIM.

With IE, it doesnt matter what I do, I cannot get it to connect to the internet at all. I have tried reinstalling it, downloading an earlier version (6.0), just about everything, and no matter what I do, it will still not connect to the internet.

The same thing happens with AIM, however I was able to get that working with installing an earlier version of AIM (5.8 or something before the new 6.0 came out).

The most interisting part about this is that everything else seems to work fine. I am able to use Firefox browser, which I am using now even. I am able to connect online to Warcraft and just about everything else.

I need to connect to IE though, because Windows updates the system through them, as well as my ISP requires I use IE to download my Anti Virus software.

Now, I have tried everything I can think of to see if maybe I have a virus or spyware which is causing this. I have ran 3 different Spyware programs (AdAware, Spy Bot and Counter Spy) which have all came up empty. I have also installed and run a complete virus scan with AVG virus scanner (as I said, I cannot even download the Macfee one I get for free through my ISP because I need to be able to connect to IE).

Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Welcome to Daniweb :)

Have you tried to do a system restore to a few days before the tech had it????? (He may have messed something up).. If that doesnt work i would take it back guns blazin' (He shouldnt have given it back to you w/o testing everything first!!)

Good luck :)

Welcome to Daniweb :)

Have you tried to do a system restore to a few days before the tech had it????? (He may have messed something up).. If that doesnt work i would take it back guns blazin' (He shouldnt have given it back to you w/o testing everything first!!)

Good luck :)

Well..the issue with that is that before I took it in (and the resons I took it in) was because something was causing my CDROM/DVD drivers not to be able to be recognized. He said it was Spyware or a Virus that came in through Limewire (which I already got rid of lol). Unfortunally, I did not know that my System Restore was not activated until AFTER this issue had come up. So if I do a System Restore now, to a point before I took my system in, it would effect my CDROM/DVD drives again, and im not sure if I know how he fixed them.

It just seems like a really weird issue...it seems to only be effecting IE (just tried to reinstall again and it still does not work). And that I have to use a later version of AIM for it to connect correctly. Where as Yahoo! Messenger works just fine with the most recent version of thatl.

:eek:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.