IE (version 6) will no longer connect to the internet, I must use Mozilla Firefox. This problem appeared after I installed "Zone Alarm Pro" firewall software...that's when my "Konfabulator" widgets ("Stock Ticker" and "The Weather"...ones that require an internet connection to operate), "Streamload Downloader" and "Gmail Notifier" programs all stopped working as well. I can still access my accounts to Streamload and Gmail through Firefox, but the Gmail Notifier and Streamload Downloader give me an error message that they "cannot connect to server". To be fair to Zone Alarm, this problem could have been from when I installed "Avant Browser" (just before installing ZA)...it was recommended as a better/safer browsing alternative to Firefox, but I uninstalled it immediatly...I hated it. Everytime I used it, Firefox wouldn't work unless I changed the setting to "Automatically detect Proxy settings")

I have uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro as well, but the problem persists. Apparently my Windows connection or permission settings have been changed and I dont know how to restore them. I attempted to use Win XP's System Restore and go back to a point in time before both programs were installed, but each restore point I chose failed (which has been an issue ever since I installed XP SP2, it has nothing to do with THIS issue).

The strange part is, ALL these programs (including IE) work perfectly from my daughter's profile (on the SAME computer)!! What could cause THAT?? What could have been deleted or changed within MY profile to cause these problems?? It has to be a port setting or something, right? Whatever has changed, it is isolated to MY profile only. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Konfabulator and Gmail notifier programs, but this did not fix the problem.

I also notice that graphic links in the email I receive in Outlook Express (such as ones from eBay) now appear as red X's instead of images...apparently THEY are not being allowed to connect either??

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

IE (version 6) will no longer connect to the internet, I must use Mozilla Firefox. This problem appeared after I installed "Zone Alarm Pro" firewall software...that's when my "Konfabulator" widgets ("Stock Ticker" and "The Weather"...ones that require an internet connection to operate), "Streamload Downloader" and "Gmail Notifier" programs all stopped working as well. I can still access my accounts to Streamload and Gmail through Firefox, but the Gmail Notifier and Streamload Downloader give me an error message that they "cannot connect to server". To be fair to Zone Alarm, this problem could have been from when I installed "Avant Browser" (just before installing ZA)...it was recommended as a better/safer browsing alternative to Firefox, but I uninstalled it immediatly...I hated it. Everytime I used it, Firefox wouldn't work unless I changed the setting to "Automatically detect Proxy settings")

I have uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro as well, but the problem persists. Apparently my Windows connection or permission settings have been changed and I dont know how to restore them. I attempted to use Win XP's System Restore and go back to a point in time before both programs were installed, but each restore point I chose failed (which has been an issue ever since I installed XP SP2, it has nothing to do with THIS issue).

The strange part is, ALL these programs (including IE) work perfectly from my daughter's profile (on the SAME computer)!! What could cause THAT?? What could have been deleted or changed within MY profile to cause these problems?? It has to be a port setting or something, right? Whatever has changed, it is isolated to MY profile only. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Konfabulator and Gmail notifier programs, but this did not fix the problem.

I also notice that graphic links in the email I receive in Outlook Express (such as ones from eBay) now appear as red X's instead of images...apparently THEY are not being allowed to connect either??

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Internet Explorer cannot open problems and causes.
Any one of the following issues can cause problems when you try to communicate with a server on the Internet:
The server is not functioning correctly or has been temporarily removed from the Internet.
Your Internet browser is not configured correctly.
The TCP/IP configuration for your dial-up connection to your ISP is incorrect.
Your ISP's Domain Name Service (DNS) server is not working correctly.
Hosts files in the System_drive:\Windows, System_drive:\Windows\System32\Drivers, and System_drive:\Program Files\Network Ice\Black Ice directories may be damaged or corrupted.

I uninstalled IE Version 6 quite awhile ago when I switched to Firefox. But when I clicked on the link to Microsoft Updates from Security Center in Control Panel it went to my home page on the internet but gave a message it could not connect to update.microsoft.com web site.

In Help->About it said it was Internet Explorer Version 6. I searched my hard drive and there is no IExplore.exe anywhere except one of the blue compressed KBuninstall files that Microsoft updates leave on the hard drive. It is not in any system or hidden files/folders either. There are other files with IExplore in the filename but not just .exe. I never installed any newer versions of IE either.

I assume it is somehow running IE from that compressed KBuninstall file. I may delete it and see if that stops it from running.

It is frustrating because I want Firefox to be the default for everything, have set it as the default in Firefox-Options, and in the Program Access & Defaults choice under Add/Remove programs.

My OS is XP Home SP3

I am posting this mainly as a piece of information and do not expect a reply, but if any readers are moved to post a reply then take a whack at it. I can also use some help with my Kaypro double density double drive CPM system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.